While from the outside, it may seem complicated, do not worry; it is a simple job you can do in your own garage. Let’s get started. The process is the same, whether it is the left or right rear tail light.
What you will need
How to remove and replace VW Jetta tail light on 2011 through 2019 models.
- Remove the cover tab in the trunk, where the tail light connection will be. It will be on the inside, directly behind the external light cover.
- Unplug the electrical connection to the tail light, as you will need to remove the light assembly.
- Unscrew the plastic nut that holds the tail light assembly to the car. The nut will be next to the light connection.
- Gently remove the light assembly from the car. It may require some wiggling, as it is also held in by a plastic tab.
- Inside the light assembly, there will be a plastic plate that holds the two bulbs on the cover. Remove the plate, being careful not to damage the bulbs.
- Install the new tail light.
- Tighten the plastic nut that holds the light assembly in.
- Plug the light connection into the housing, and replace the cover in the trunk. Test the light to be sure that it works by having someone stand behind the car as you push the brake and carefully shift into reverse. Make sure they stand out of the way.