Replacing the light bulb from the tail light of an A6 VW Jetta is simple. While from the outside, it may seem complicated, do not worry; it is a simple job you can do in your own garage. Let’s get started. The process is the same, whether it is the left or right rear turn signal.
What you will need
How to change VW Jetta rear light bulbs:
- Open the trunk lid.
- Remove the cover tab in the trunk, where the tail light connection will be. It will be on the inside, directly behind the external light cover.
- Unplug the electrical connection to the tail light, as you will need to remove the light assembly.
- Unscrew the plastic nut that holds the tail light assembly to the car. The nut will be next to the light connection.
- Gently remove the light assembly from the car. It may require some wiggling, as it is also held in by a plastic tab.
- Inside the light assembly, there will be a plastic plate that holds the two bulbs on the cover. Remove the plate, being careful not to damage the bulbs.
- Remove and replace the burnt-out bulb that needs repairing. For this article, we are looking at replacing the turn signal. It is the bulb at the bottom of the assembly because the light bulbs are arranged vertically within the cover.
- Having replaced the bulb, but the light assembly back on the car, the same way it was removed.
- Tighten the plastic nut that holds the light assembly in.
- Plug the light connection into the housing, and replace the cover in the trunk. Test the light to be sure that it works by having someone stand behind the car as you operate the turn signals.