For your safety and peace of mind, we have compiled a step-by-step guide to replace your broken taillight.
What you will need
How to replace taillight assembly.
- Open your trunk to access the taillight assembly retaining screws. You can accomplish this by doing any of the following :
- You can press the touchpad under the Buick emblem. You can also open the trunk by pressing the release mechanism on the trunk handle. There is also a release button on the driver's console. And finally, you can open the trunk using the FOB key.
- Remove the trunk side retaining screws. To do this, you have to find a rubber cover that conceals the screw; the cover is on the trunk frame on the side of the taillight assembly. Pry the rubber with a flathead screwdriver and then loosen and remove the screw with a 7mm socket with a screwdriver handle and extension. To loosen the bolts, turn the handle counterclockwise.
- Loosen and detach the fender side retaining screws. Carry out this task by removing the rear bumper. Here is the link to remove the rear bumper of a Buick Enclave 2018. You may also look at the "How to remove the rear bumper and splash cover" in this article.
- The rear taillight assembly can now be separated from the car's body. You may achieve this by pulling the tail light assembly towards the back of the car.
- You can now install the taillight assembly in reverse order.
How to remove the rear bumper and splash cover.
- Remove the rear bolt cover panel to expose the rear bumper's retaining bolts. Each side will have three retaining bolts.
- Remove three 7mm upper retaining bolts on each side, use a socket with screwdriver handle and extension. Turn the handle counterclockwise.
- Remove the rear fender liner to expose the retaining support screws of the rear bumper.
- Remove the 7mm retaining screws that are located near the rear wheel. Remove lower retaining screws, use a socket with screwdriver handle and extension. Turn the handle counterclockwise.
- Remove the two 7mm retaining bolts situated below the vehicle on the lower side of the bumper, use a socket with a screwdriver handle and extension. Turn the handle counterclockwise.
- Have an assistant pull the bumper off from the other side while pulling it off on your side until the entire bumper snaps off.
- Find the electrical connector are disconnect it. You may need to press the tabs on the connector to release it from the taillight assembly.
- You can install the rear bumper in reverse order.
- Note if you want to replace just one side of the bumper, you still need to do steps 1-6, but you can detach each side of the bumper once the whole bumper is taken off.
You can get pulled over by the police for having a broken taillight. Any driving infraction that can be seen as a possible danger to you and to others, such as having a broken or burned-out taillight, is a reasonable cause for a traffic stop.
This is obviously frustrating and inconvenient for drivers, but there are some safety concerns behind it.
If your taillight were to become broken or burned-out, the drivers behind you would have a hard time seeing you in the dark, and you could be held liable for an accident.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to replace a tail light assembly?
- If you go to a dealership or auto body shop for your new tail light assembly, you will pay anywhere between $200 to $2000 for each assembly. If you have a luxury car, you will pay even more than that. If you do it yourself, you can get the cost down to a price range of $30 to $250 per assembly.
How long does it take to replace the taillight?
- Fortunately, tail light bulb replacement isn't difficult and shouldn't take you more than forty-five minutes to an hour to complete. Be aware that newer models may be a little more complicated than older ones, as there will be more wires to disconnect.