What you will need
- Park the vehicle and set the parking brakes. Remove the key from the ignition.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Locate the engine air filter in the engine bay.
- Pop out the metal clips that secure the air filter housing.
- Lift up the housing and remove the engine air filter.
- Install a new air filter in reverse order.
Make sure the filter is seated properly, or you will not be able to close the filter housing.
The engine air filter should be replaced every 15,000 miles.
- 9th Generation Honda Civic
What is the difference between the Honda engine air filter and cabin air filter?
Let's keep this simple. The cabin air filter cleans the air that you breathe. The engine air filter cleans the air that the engine breathers.
Can I change the Honda air filter myself?
You are wondering if it is hard to change the Honda engine air filter yourself. It is not. Even if you have never changed a Honda engine air filter, don't worry; you can do it. Watch the video and go for it. Just make sure the filter housing is closed properly. You may have to try a couple of times, but you will get it.
How do you know if the Honda engine air filter is dirty?
If you pull out the filter, it will dirty. Other symptoms include a decrease in gas mileage. If the engine air filter is impacting gas mileage, it has not been changed in a very long time. Change it immediately.
How much does it cost to replace an engine filter?
The average cost to replace the Honda engine air filter ranges between $25 and $80. The price varies depending on the quality of the filter that you install and where you get the filter installed.