This engine is one of the most popular and most reliable engines installed in a lot of Nissan and Infinity vehicles since 2000. Some models that are equipped with this engine include Nissan Pathfinder, Altima, Maxima, 350Z, Murano, and Infinity QX4, I35, G35, FX35, and Quest.
What you will need
- Drive the car up on ramps. Place the car in park and set the parking brakes.
- Block the rear tires to prevent the vehicle from rolling back.
- Secure the vehicle with jack stands.
- Pull the hood release until you hear the hood pop up. Move to the front of the car and release the latch, then lift the hood.
Your browser does not support video tag.
- Remove the plastic shield from the bottom of the engine. Watch the following video on how to remove the engine undercover (under shield).
Locate the oil drain plug under the engine. Here is a close up picture of the oil drain plug on this Nissan
Remove the oil drain plug. Use a 17 mm socket to remove this bolt by turning it counter-clockwise. Once you break the bolt loose, you can use your hand to remove the bolt but be careful so that you don't get burned if the oil is hot. Make sure to have the oil catch pan located under the oil drain hole. Allow the old oil to drain for at least ten minutes.
Replace the drain plug washer if you have one.
Reinstall the drain plug on your Nissan/Infiniti engine. Tighten the drain plug to 29 ft-lb.
Locate the engine filer on your Nissan. In this Nissan Quest, the filter is on the passenger side, next to the inner CV joint. Use an oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter.
- Remove the old oil filter. Install the new filter on your Nissan and tighten it by hand at first, then torque it to 25Nm.
- Locate the oil filler cap on top of the engine of your Nissan and remove it.
- Add the recommended engine oil. Check the oil level after you add 80% of the oil capacity. Don't overfill the engine with oil. Start by adding one litter less than recommended and recheck the oil level. Check the level and add more oil as needed.
- Locate the oil dipstick. If your Nissan doesn't have a dipstick, you will need to check the oil level via the instrument cluster. Watch a video on how to check engine oil levels via dipstick on various Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
Reset Oil Reminder. Reset the oil service reminder via the buttons on the side of the instrument cluster.
The oil change interval for most Nissan vehicles ranges between 5,000 and 10,000 miles.
Older Nissan vehicles that use conventional oil should have the oil changed every 3,000 miles.
Verify by looking it up in your owner's manual. Changing the oil and oil filter at the recommended intervals is very important.
Nissan oil drain plug is typically torqued to 29 ft-lb.
- Drain plug torque: 22 to 29 ft-lb (29 to 39 N·m)
- Oil filter torque: 11 to 15 ft-lb (14.7 to 20.5 N·m)
Applicable Oil Filters
Use the following chart for reference only. Verify with the manufacturer if the oil filter fits your Nissan or Infiniti.
- AC Delco PF1237
- Champ Labs. PH2876
- Donaldson P502067
- Fram PH5541
- Fram PH6607
- Fram PH7317
- Fram PH9688
- Fram TG6607
- Fram TG7317
- Fram TG9688
- Fram XG6607
- Fram XG7317
- Fram XG9688
- Infiniti 1520865F0C
- Infiniti 1520865F0E
- Mann-Hummel ML1014
- Mobil One M1108A
- Motorcraft FL816
- Nissan 1520865F0C
- Nissan 1520865F0E
- Purolator L14612
- Purolator L14622
- Smart 1321800010
- STP S2869
- SuperTech ST6607
- SuperTech ST9688
- WIX 51365