What you will need
- Locate the hood release underneath the dash of your Cadillac. Pull the lever until you hear the hood pop open.
Your browser does not support video tag.
- Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of the hood. Lift the hood and secure it.
- Locate the power steering pump on your Cadillac. The power steering pump is mounted on the engine. In this case, the power steering pump is located on the driver's side of the engine bay. If you are not sure, look it up in the owner's manual.
- Remove the cap counterclockwise. Inspect the current condition of the power steering fluid. You will notice a Low and Max mark if you look carefully at the side of the power steering fluid or the cap dipstick.
- If the current power steering level is below the minimum level, ad power steering fluid.
How to Add Power Steering Fluid
If the power steering level is below the minimum mark, add power steering fluid to bring the Min and Max marks levels. Do not overfill.
- Drive your Cadillac for at least fifteen minutes to warm up the existing power steering fluid. (If the level is extremely low, add power steering fluid before the warm-up procedure.)
- Turn off the engine and set the emergency brakes.
- Park your Cadillac on level ground and open the hood. The hood release is under the dashboard, driver's side.
- Locate the power steering reservoir at the front of the engine.
- Remove the cap from the power steering fluid reservoir.
- Add power steering fluid until you bring the level between the Min and Max marks.
This guide applies to Cadillac ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR.
Common symptoms that your power steering system fluid level is low:
- You hear a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel,
- The steering wheel is difficult to turn,
- Whining noise when turning the steering wheel,
- Cadillac steering wheel is slow to respond,
- Stiff steering wheel,
- Squealing noise at startup
It is not recommended to drive your Cadillac with no power steering fluid in it. Not only will you hear a groaning noise and have a hard to turn the steering wheel, but you can burn the power steering pump as well