What you will need
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard of your Subaru and open the hood.
- Open the hood and locate the oil dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.
- Before reinserting the dipstick, note the Max and Minimum levels.
- Insert the dipstick back into the engine for 5 seconds. Make sure the dipstick is fully inserted.
- Pull out the dipstick and note the level. The level should be between the Min and Max marks. If the level is below the Min mark, follow instructions in the next section to add oil.
- Locate the engine oil cap and remove it by turning it counterclockwise.
- Add 1 quart ( or about 1 litter) and wait 5 minutes.
- Recheck the engine oil level using the instructions above. Add engine oil to bring the level between the Min and Max mark.
Do not allow the level to go above the MAX mark.
Possible risk of burning due to engine components being hot.
If your Subaru engine oil level is below the MIN mark, add engine oil immediately. Do NOT drive or keep the engine running if your Subaru oil light or oil pressure light is on. These instructions will help you check the oil level on a Subaru Impreza, Outback, Forester, WRX, Legacy, Crosstrek.
Only continue driving if the oil light is off.