To check the engine oil level on a Toyota, the engine must be at operating temperature. Turn off the engine and wait for at least five minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan. Check the oil level using the dipstick with a yellow handle. To get an accurate reading, ensure the vehicle is on a level spot.
For more help, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
What you will need
- Park the Toyota on level ground, set the parking brakes, and turn off the engine.
- Wait for at least five minutes to allow the engine to cool down and the oil to return to the oil pan.
- Open the hood of the car by pulling the release lever located under the left side of the dashboard, the driver’s side.
- Depress the safety lever at the front of the hood to open the hood.
- Locate the engine oil dipstick on the engine block.The oil dipstick typically has a yellow handle.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a dry clean cloth.
- Note the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick.
- Put the dipstick back into the engine and remove it again
- Check the markings on the dipstick. Two dots indicate the MIN and MAX marks. If the level is between the MIN and MAX marks, the level is correct. If the oil level is below the minimum mark, then your oil level is too low, and you need to add oil. Continue to the next step.
- Remove the oil cap on top of the engine by turning it counter-clockwise. If the cap has not been removed in a long time, it may be difficult to remove and may require force.
- Add one quart of recommended engine oil that meets the requirements listed in your owner’s manual.
- Wait 5 minutes and recheck the engine oil level again using the dipstick.
Continue your journey only if the oil level is between the MIN and MAX marks. Do not continue to drive if the oil level is low or the oil light on the dashboard comes on.
Do not overfill the engine with oil. The oil level should not be over the MAX mark. If the oil impression is above the maximum mark, then you need to reduce the oil to keep the level between the MIN and MAX marks.
Ideally, the oil level should fall within the minimum and maximum markings of your dipstick but closer to the maximum marking.
This guide will help you check the engine oil level on a Toyota Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Rav4, Matrix, 4Runner, Highlander, and other models.