In this tutorial, you will find instructions on how to replace the low beam headlight bulb on Kia Optima model years: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
What you will need
Open Hood - Pull on the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Remove old light bulb - Locate the back of the headlight assembly that has the burned bulb.
- First, you need to remove the light bulb cover. To remove this cover twist it counterclockwise and remove it. Next, you need to remove the low beam bulb. Remove the bulb socket from the headlamp by turning it counterclockwise.
Install new low beam light bulb - Remove the old bulb from the socket by pulling it. Press the new bulb into the socket. Align the tabs on the socket with the slots in the headlamp assembly and twist the socket to lock in in place.
- Replace the headlight bulb cover - Install the headlamp cover by twisting it clockwise.
- Close the hood and test the headlights.
Only one headlight works
It is possible that even after replacing the bulb the headlight doesn't work. Common problems that cause this issue include:
- Damaged wiring inside the headlight unit.
- Damaged wiring harness taking power to the headlight.
- A corroded connector at the headlight
- Blown fuse
Use a digital multimeter to check the voltage at the headlight connector.
Unplug the wire harness from the headlight. Identify the wires that provide power to the burned bulb. The negative wire will be either black or brown. The positive you will have to find out. Set your digital multimeter to voltage, turn on the headlight and measure.