Finding the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota and Lexus can be a challenge. With hundreds of code readers and diagnostic scanners, we understand that it is overwhelming for car owners to find the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota vehicles.
In this article, we share our expert knowledge and research to help you find the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
1. iCarsoft Toyota / Lexus / Scion / Isuzu Scanner
The iCarsoft TYT II scanner is a unique scanner that allows you to do an in-depth diagnostic on your Toyota, Scion, Isuzu, and Lexus vehicles.
It provides coverage for all the systems on your car. Meaning it can read and clear fault codes from all the systems, including engine, transmission, ABS, airbag, climate control, audio, and more.
It also allows you to perform several resets such as Oil Service Reset (OLS), Electronic Parking Brake Reset (EPB), Electronic Throttle Body Reset (ECTS), Steering Angle Sensor Reset (SAS), and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration / Replace.
We have tested lots of OBD2 scanners. If you are looking for the best OBD2 scanner that is affordable and covers all systems on Toyota and Lexus vehicles, the iCarsoft TYT II Scanner is our top pick. You can recover this scanner's cost the first time you use it to diagnose the check engine light on your vehicle.
- Read Codes & Erase Codes All Systems
- I/M Readiness -- I/M Readiness indicates whether or not the various emissions-related systems on the vehicle are operating properly and are ready for Inspection and Maintenance testing.
- Data Stream
- Freeze Frame -- When an emission-related fault occurs, certain vehicle conditions are recorded by the on-board computer. This information is referred to as freeze frame data. Freeze Data is a snapshot of the operating conditions at the time of an emission-related fault.
- O2 Sensor Test -- This option allows retrieval and viewing of O2 sensor test results for most recently performed tests from the vehicle's onboard computer.
- On-Board Monitoring -- This function can be utilized to read the results of on-board diagnostic monitoring tests for specific components/systems.
- Evap System Test -- The EVAP test function lets you initiate a leak test for the vehicle's EVAP system. Before using the system test function, refer to the vehicle's service repair manual to determine the procedures necessary to stop the test.
- Vehicle Information -- The option displays the vehicle identification number (VIN), the calibration verification number (CVN), and other information of the test vehicle
2. Launch Creader VII+ CRP123
The Launch Creader VII+ Scanner can perform in-depth troubleshooting of four vehicle systems. It can read and clear fault codes from the:
- airbag system
This scanner can also stream live data from these systems. It will not be able to do any programming like you can with the professional Toyota scanners.
It doesn't work just on Toyota, Lexus, and Scion. In fact, it works on over 24 makes. If you need a scanner to work on all your cars, the Launch Creader is a great choice.
If you are looking for an affordable scanner that can perform a comprehensive diagnosis of your cars, this is a good choice. Overall a good Toyota scanner, especially if you perform your car repairs and work on multiple cars. It is priced reasonably as well.
3. Autel Maxisys Professional Diagnostic Scanner
The Autel Maxisys All System Professional Scanner is one of our favorite diagnostic scanners. It offers similar capabilities to the diagnostic scanners offered by the Toyota dealer. Independent auto repair shops often use this scanner.
Not only is it able to diagnose multiple vehicle brands, but it is capable of coding the ECU and accessing all systems in all cars, including Toyotas and Lexus. It is also one of the most advanced Autel scanners that you can use to diagnose Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
In addition to performing ECU programming, it can activate sensors and look at live data for any system installed in your car. It also offers bi-directional communication. This is the only scanner with similar capabilities to the official dealer scanner, the Techmaster, and Snap-On Solus.
The Autel Maxisys the best professional diagnostic scanner for Toyota and Lexus; it is also one of the least expensive professional scanners you can get. If you still want a professional diagnostic scanner for your Toyota but are on a tight budget, consider the Autel MaxiCOM or older generation Autel DS708, which has come down in price significantly.
4. Autolink AL619 ABS/SRS Scanner
The Autolink AL619 scanner is a handheld scanner that will allow you to diagnose the Check Engine Light / Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and read, clear, and reset codes from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and SRS/airbag.
It can stream live sensor data and playback, read, and store data. This scanner works on all 1996 and newer vehicles, not just Toyota or Lexus.
This scanner is a cable for diagnosing Toyota vehicles equipped with a CAN network. The AutoLink AL619 software can be updated via the internet to allow coverage of newer vehicles. It has limited system coverage compared to the other Toyota scanners in this list, but AutoLink AL619 is one of the best Toyota scanners under $100.
5. Techstream Technical Information System (TIS)
The primary diagnostic scan tool used at Toyota dealerships is the Techstream.
In the past, dealers used the Mastertech scanner all the way up to 2008. Now you will find that Toyota and Lexus dealers use the Techstream. This system is backward compatible will older cars.
The Techstream scanner allows you to view and analyze vehicle data. Techstream 2.0 replaced the previous Techstream 1.0 scanner and will work on all 1996 to current Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles.
The Techstream diagnostic scanner consist of three parts:
- Techstream diagnostic software
- Laptop / PC
- MongoosePro - Vehicle Interface Module
MongoosePro MFC2 allows the Techstream software to connect to the vehicle.
Visit the Teachstream information page if you would like to learn more about Toyota's approved dealer equipment.
If you are looking for a good OBD2 scanner that is affordable and covers all Toyota vehicles' systems, the iCarsoft TYT II is the best choice.
If you are an independent auto mechanic who focuses on repairing Toyota and Lexus vehicles, the Autel Maxisys is an affordable professional scanner that you need to consider in addition to the Snap-On Solus.
To avoid overwhelming you, we only highlight the top five best OBD2 scanners that work on Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles. The scanners we cover here are our recommendations for DIYers who want to diagnose more than just a check engine light.