In this tutorial, you will learn how to check engine oil level on ACURA vehicles, model years 1998-2019. Check the engine oil level on ACURA model is easy and takes only five minutes. On newer Acura vehicles you can check the oil level via the instrument cluster. In this guide, we will focus on how to check Acura oil level using the oil dipstick located in the engine bay. If the engine oil light is on your ACURA, add oil to bring the level to the recommended level as soon as possible. Driving an Acura with the engine light on can cause serious engine damage.
- Check Engine Oil Level Light
- Red oil symbol on dashboard
- Engine noise or knock
- Engine overheating
What you will need
Acura recommends that you use Genuine Acura Motor Oil. Other synthetic oils that are API certified can also be used. The typical oil used on Acuras is 0W-20 or 5W-20 grade.
Follow these instructions to check the oil level an Acura. These steps will help owners of Acura CDX, CL, VSX, EL, ILX, Integra, Legend, MDX, NSX, RDX, RL RLX, RSX, SLX, TL TLX, TSX, VIGOR, ZDX.
Park your ACURA model on a level surface and apply the parking brakes.
Turn off the engine and wait at least 10 minutes before proceeded to check the engine oil level on your ACURA model. This will allow the engine oil to return to the oil pan of your model.
Open the hood of your ACURA model by pulling the hood release under the dash.
Locate the oil dipstick on your Acura. Above you can see the location of the oil dipstick on an Acura TL.
In this picture, you can see the location of the oil dipstick on an Acura TLX. In most Acura cars, the oil dipstick has a yellow handle and is located on the passenger side of the engine.
Remove the dipstick by pulling it up. Note the minimum and maximum marks before you reinsert the dipstick back into the engine block.
Use a clean cloth to wipe off any oil that may still be on the dipstick.
Insert the dip stick into the same tube to check engine oil level on your ACURA model. The level needs to be between the min and max mark we saw earlier. If the engine oil level is below the min mark, you need to add engine oil to your model. Follow instructions as described in the next step. If the level is significally above the FULL mark, you need to remove oil from the engine.
Locate the oil filler cap.
This is where you can add oil to your ACURA TLX.
This is where you add engine oil to Acura TL.
Add 0.5 to 1 qt of oil at a time and recheck the oil level. Don't allow the oil to go over the MAX/FULL mark.
Oil level should be checked regularly. Operating the engine with an insufficient amount of oil or the oil light on can cause serious damage. Damage caused by negligence is very unlikely to be covered by the manufacturer warranty.
Keep in mind
- Do NOT operate your vehicle or keep the engine running if the oil warning light is on.
- Be sure the vehicle is on level ground when checking the oil level.
- If the oil level is below the LOW mark add enough oil immediately to bring the level to the high mark.
- Use a funnel to help prevent oil from being spilled on engine components.
- Do not overfill the engine with oil or allow it to go over the MAX mark.
- Always be sure to clean the area around any filler plug, drain plug, or dipstick before checking or draining any lubricant. This is especially important in dusty or sandy areas and when the vehicle is used on unpaved roads. Cleaning the plug and dipstick areas will prevent dirt and grit from entering the engine and other mechanisms that could be damaged.
- It is normal to add 0.5qt-1qt of oil between oil maintenance intervals especially in high mileage vehicles or during the break-in period.
- Some engines burn up to 1qt of oil for every 1000 miles. This is not the norm.