Acura Check/Add Coolant Antifreeze
HUB: Acura Updated Friday Feb 16, 2018
In this guide, you will find step by step directions on how to check engine coolant level on an Acura. Instructions on how to add antifreeze on an Acura are included, but you will need to check the coolant level first.
- Engine Overheating,
- Temperature gauge in HIGH range,
- Check Coolant Warning,
- Low Engine Coolant Message
Acura Coolant Type
Wondering what type of coolant does Acura cars use? Coolant that is generally used in Acura vehicles is in most cases Honda Type 2 engine coolant. It is backward compatible. Acura coolant color is typically blue, not green. Check your owners manual or call your dealer to verify. Use Honda genuine coolant whenever possible
- Honda Antifreeze Coolant Type 2
- Recommended coolant for most Honda and Acura vehicles.
- 50/50 Coolant Antifreeze
- A list of alternative coolant types that you can use on your Acura. It is important to check compatibility of the coolant with your Acura by reading the label on the back of the coolant bottle. Certain coolants may not compatible with Honda/Acura and can cause premature wear of the seals in the water system.
If the coolant that you purchase says FULL CONCENTRATE on the bottle, you will need to mix it 50/50 dith distilled water.
Step 1 - Open Hood
Locate the hood release underneath the dashboard of your Acura. Pull the lever until you hear the Acura hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of your .
Lift up the hood and secure it in the open position.
Watch the following video on how to perform this step.
Step 2 - Locate Coolant Reservoir
Next, you locate the coolant reservoir (tank) on your Acura.
This is the location where you add engine coolant reservoir on a 2016 Acura TSX. Do NOT remove the radiator cap to add coolant if the engine is still hot.
2006 Acura TL At the front of the engine you can see the radiator cap and overflow reservoir. Add coolant/antifreeze to the overfllow reservoir first. Top off the radiator only when the engine has cooled down.
Step 3 - Add Coolant / Antifreeze
Add engine coolant/antifreeze. Only add coolant type recommended by Acura. The recommended coolant type can be found in your owner's manual.
Helpful tips when adding Acura coolant.