In this guide, you will find instructions on how to check the engine coolant level and add antifreeze on a Mazda vehicle.
The pictures in this guide are from a 2015 Mazda 5 but these instructions should help owers of Mazda 3, 5, 6, CX5, CX7, CX3, CX9 and other models.
What you will need
Mazda Engine Coolant 50/50
- Park your Mazda and allow the engine to cool down for at least 30 min.
- Locate the hood release underneath the dashboard of your Mazda. Pull the lever until you hear the Mazda hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of your hood.
- Next, you locate the coolant reservoir (tank) on your Mazda. This is the location where you add engine coolant reservoir is on a Mazda. On this Mazda 5 the coolant reserve is located on the passenger side of the engine.
- Look at the coolant reservoir tank and note the low and high level. If the level is below the minimum mark you will need to add coolant or your Mazda may overheat and blow a head gasket.
- Remove coolant reservoir cap very slowly.
- Add engine coolant/antifreeze. Only add coolant type recommended by Mazda.
Adding engine coolant to a Mazda5 is easy. Only add coolant type recommended by Mazda. If the light for low engine coolant level turns on, make sure to check the coolant level when the engine is cold.
Do not open the radiator cap of your Mazda 5, if the engine is hot.
Instead, add coolant to the coolant reservoir. If the light on your Mazda dashboard has turned on indicating, low coolant level, the first thing you need to do is check the coolant level. Do not continue to operate your Mazda 5 if the engine is overheating or the high engine temperature light comes on.