How to apply Volvo touch up paint
If you get a scratch or chip in the paint on your Volvo it can be an eyesore to look at. Not only does it look bad but it takes away from the value of your car. You can easily touch up the pain on your Volvo if you know what you’re doing. Here’s a step-by-step explanation of how to easily apply Volvo touch up paint.
- First, you need to find the correct paint code for your car which will guarantee that you get the perfect color match. This number is located on the radiator support and on the sheet metal on either side of the engine compartment. The paint code is a 3-digit number.
XC90, C70, S40, S60, S70, S80, V40, V70 INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT
C30, S40, V50, XC70 ON THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE DOOR COLUMN
- Once you find the paint code you can order the correct paint. Touch up paint comes in spray cans and touch up pens. Depending on how big the area you need to paint, you can determine if you need a pen or a spray can. You can purchase custom mixed Volvo paint online.
- After you’ve ordered the appropriate paint color, now it’s time to get to work. Make sure that you paint your Volvo when the temperature is over 50 degrees F, and then wash the damaged area with soap and water. Then use a wax and grease remover on the area and place masking tape around the area to protect the rest of the paint.
- If the damaged area has any rust, remove this first before painting. You can do that with 220 grit sandpaper. Then apply rust converter to the area. If the area you’re painting is unpainted, like bare metal, then you need to apply automotive primer first.
- Apply a thin layer of primer to the area you are going to paint. Don’t apply a large amount of primer all at once, apply small amounts in thin layers to get the best result. Let the primer dry before you apply the touch-up paint. Letting it dry overnight is best.
- Now you can apply the Volvo touch up paint to scratched area only. You'll want to apply several thin layers of the paint, allowing each layer to dry for about five minutes before applying the next layer. Apply enough layers so that it's the same depth as the rest of the surface.
- After about a day of drying, you can apply rubbing compound to your Volvo to make it shiny and smooth like the rest of your car. Apply the rubbing compound with a clean, soft cloth moving in circular strokes and using light pressure. Buff it with a clean cloth afterward. For best results, apply a good automotive wax to your Volvo after about thirty days.