In this guide, you will find step by step instructions on how to change the battery on BMW 3-Series E90 E91 E92 E93.
To change the battery on BMW 3-Series you will need a few basic tools including 10mm, 13mm sockets, ratchet, and terminal cleaning brush. Note that you must also carry out the battery registration procedure.
Before you get started
- The smallest battery you can install on the 3-series would be an H6, L3 or Group 48 battery with minimum cold-cranking amps of 570 A.
- If your BMW 3-Series battery has died it is important to perform a charging system test to verify the battery is the culprit.
- If the battery on your 3-series is over five years old, you should consider replacing it.
- If the new battery on your 3-Series drains again it can be due to a parasitic draw.
What you will need
- Remove the key from the ignition Before you get started replacing the car battery on your BMW 3-Series remove the key from the ignition. BMW can be sensitive to voltage drops and keeping the key in the ignition can cause electrical problems..
- Locate battery. Open trunk. In your BMW 3-Series, the battery is located in the trunk. To access the battery you need to remove the cover on the right side of the trunk.
- Remove panel to access the battery.
- Disconnect negative cable. Start by disconnect the negative battery terminal on your BMW.
- Disconnect positive cable. Be careful to avoid any shorts between the positive and negative battery terminals.
- Remove battery bracket. Here is a close up of the battery bracket on your BMW 3-Series.
- Clean battery terminals of your BMW 3-Series using a terminal brush. This will ensure that a good connection is made between the clamp and battery post.
- Install the new battery and reconnect battery terminals. First, connect the positive battery post to your BMW 3-Series. Lastly, connect the negative terminal. Use battery fiber washer to prevent corrosion of the battery terminals.
- Protect Terminals. Spray battery terminal protector on the battery posts and clamps. A battery protector helps seal the metal surfaces. It helps reduce corrosion and improves current flow.
- Start the engine. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right. Repeat this procedure a couple of times to reset the steering angle sensor and the DSC light.
- Perform Battery Registration Follow steps to perform BMW battery registration.
These steps apply to BMW 316i, 318i, 320i, 323i, 325, 328, 330, 335i, 320d, 330d, 335d and M3 models manufactured from 2004-2013.
- BMW 3-Series does not start
- Battery dead and does not hold a charge
- 3-Series engine cranks very slow
- BMW has no power or lights