BMW Engine Coolant Outlet Hose Fitting may FAIL,
BMW engine coolant outlet fitting (BMW Part: 11537541992) may break or crack while the engine is running causing coolant loss (and engine overheating if ignored). If you notice coolant leak from the thermostat to cylinder head coolant hose this is often the culprit. The original outlet is made of plastic and is prone to failure. The part is found on many BMW models including the popular BMW 335i. This part is found on N54, N53, N52 and N51 3.0-litre motors.
The best solution is to replace the plastic fitting with a metal part that will not leak and crack like the original. Continue reading to learn how to replace BMW water hose fitting yourself with the upgraded part. This is a recommended upgrade if you race your BMW or live in a city that frequently sees high temperatures.
What you will need
- BMW PN 11537541992 or 11537544638
- Interchangeable parts.
- Fit the N54, N53, N52 and N51 3.0-litre motors
We would recommend that you replace this part with the new aluminum design so that it will not fail like the original fitting did. The other advantage of the aluminum design over the OEM part is that the aluminum fitting has a larger diameter which improves the coolant flow.
The fitting is mounted with two bolts and has a 1-inch diameter. The hose connects the coolant thermostat housing hose at the front of the engine.
- Park your BMW and allow the engine to cool down. Set the parking brakes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard on driver's side.
- Open the hood and locate the coolant fitting near the front to the engine.
- Remove two 10mm bolts.
- Remove the old fitting from the engine block.The O ring needs to be removed as well as it may get stuck inside.
- Clean the outlet on the engine block. Remove any remaining pieces from the coolant hose.
- Install the new fitting. Lubricate the seal O ring before installation. Tighten the two 10 mm bolts.
- Slide the coolant hose on the outlet port.
- Tighten the clamp.
- Add engine coolant. It is recommended to only use BMW engine coolant .
This guide applies to the following vehicles:
- N54 3.0L twin-turbo motors in 335i, 335xi, 135i
- N53 (3.0-litre non-turbo) in 2006 - 2010 325i, 330i, 525i, 525xi, 528i, 528xi, 530i, 530xi
- N20 (2.0-litre turbo) Z4 2013 and newer
- N52 X3
- N55 motors