BMW Front Grill Removal DIY Upgrade Black Kidney Grille
Published by YOUCANIC Automotive Experts
Last Updated Dec 19, 2018
In this tutorial, we will show you how to remove the OEM BMW grill (you know that ugly chrome grill) and install a black kidney grill.
What you will need
- BMW Front Grill
- Torx Bit Set
- Flat Screwdriver
- Open the hood of your BMW.
- Remove the weather strip by pulling it up.
- Remove the Torx bolts. You will need T-30 Torx bit set. Some models such as F30 and F31 use T27 and T25 torx bolts.
- Pull the front bumper forward and determine if there is enough room to access the back of the grill.
- If you can access the back of the grill jump to step 7.
- If you can't access the back of the grill continue with the next step.
- Remove the metal plate on top of the radiator.You will need to remove about 8 Torx bolts.
- Pull the metal plate away and place it on top of the engine. You don't need to disconnect the hood release cables.
- Access your BMW grill. Press down on three plastic tabs on top to unlock them.
- Use a flat screwdriver to unlock the side tabs of your old BMW grill.
- Unlock the bottom tabs of the grill.
- Once all the tabs are unlocked remove the old grill by pulling it forward.
- Install the new grill by pressing it in the bumper.
- Reinstall the weather strip and make sure to tighten all the bolts.