In this guide, you will find instructions on how to remove the OEM BMW grill. You can use these instructions to upgrade your BMW grill or change it to the black kidney grill.
What you will need
- Park your vehicle on levl ground and set the parking brakes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood of your BMW.
- Remove the weather strip at the top radiator support by pulling it up.
- Remove the Torx bolts. You will need T-30 Torx bit set. Some models, such as F30 and F31, use T27 and T25 torx bolts.
- Pull the front bumper forward and determine if there is enough room to access the back of the grill. On certain BMW models you can reach the back of the grill and remove easily. If you can't reach the back of the grill procede to the next step.
- Remove the eight Torx bolts for the top radiator support and remove it.
- Pull the metal plate away and place it on top of the engine. You don't need to disconnect the hood release cables.
- Access the back of your BMW grill. Press down on three plastic tabs on top to unlock them.
- Use a flat screwdriver to unlock the side and lower tabs.
- Press the lower tabs up to unlock the bottom of the grill.
- Once all the tabs are unlocked remove the old grill by pulling it forward.
- Install the new grill by pressing it in the bumper.
- Reinstall the weather strip, top radiator support and make sure to tighten all the bolts.
- That's it! Congratualtions!
Changing or upgrading the front grill on a BMW is relatively easy.