You have just purchased an OBD-II scanner to check Cadillac fault codes, but are having a hard time locating the place to plu
If your Cadillac AIRBAG light is ON and "Service Air Bag" message appears in the Driver Information Center it means that there is a problem with one of Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) components.
- A failed passenger seat mat sensor
- Previous accident
- Deployed airbag
- Seat belt buckle
- Low battery voltage
- A defective clock spring
- Damaged or disconnected airbag wires
A passenger-side airbag warning indicator may also illuminate intermittently if there is a problem with the passenger seat.
Will the airbags work in the case of an accident?
If your Cadillac airbag light is ON the airbags may not deploy in case of an accident.
When you drive a Cadillac that has the airbag light on, you are driving with a safety system disabled. In other words, you and your passengers may not be protected by the airbags if you get in an accident.
We strongly recommend that you get your Cadillac airbag light diagnosed by a professional as soon as possible.
In the next step, you will find instructions on how to read Cadillac airbag codes yourself.
Diagnose Cadillac Airbag Light
To diagnose the airbag system you need a scanner that can read Cadillac airbag system codes. A generic OBD-II scanner can not diagnose the Cadillac airbag system and will not show any codes.
What you will need
Locate OBD-II Port. Under the dashboard of your Cadillac, you will find the Onboard Diagnostic port also known as OBD-II port. All 1996 and newer Cadillac have this port.
Connect Scanner. Plug the OBD2 scanner into the 16 pin OBD2 port. Note that the port is trapezoid in shape and allows the scanner to connect in only one direction.
- Turn on the ignition. Do not start the engine. If your Cadillac has a START/STOP button, press Start button without pressing the brake pedal.
Allow your airbag scanner to power on. The scanner should turn on once the ignition is turned on or to position II. Once the scanner is fully powered, select Cadillac from the menu.
- Read Airbag Codes. Follow the prompting on the diagnostic scanner to select your model, then select AIRBAG from the menu.
- Scroll down to read codes and scan your Cadillac for airbag fault codes.
- If the codes you retrieve are PRESENT status you will need to fix that problem before you can clear the airbag light. If the status of the codes is STORED it is ok to clear the code. After you clear Cadillac airbag light, turn off the ignition then back on to determine if the airbag light has been turned off.
The codes that you get from the airbag module will be very straight forward to interpret, unlike a check engine light which can be tricky to diagnose due to tons of possibilities.