If your Cadillac hood won't stay up, the problem in most cases is weak hood support. In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change Cadillac hood supports.
The hood strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- Cadillac hood won't stay up,
- Hood stays open for a few seconds then closes
- Hood won™t stay open by itself anymore
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Open the hood of your Cadillac. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on driver's side.
- Have a friend hold up the hood. If the hood falls while you are changing your Cadillac hood supports you can get seriously injured.
- Secure the hood in the upright position. Locate the hood struts that need to be replaced.
- Locate the clip that locks the hood support to the joint. Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Install the new hood support in reverse order.
- Repeat this procedure for the other hood support, if your Cadillac has two.
In this guide, you learned how to replace the hood lift support (gas strut) on Cadillac ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR.
Changing the hood support on any Cadillac is easy and takes less than half an hour. Follow the instructions or watch the video on how to change Cadillac gas-filled hood support.