How to change Audi Hood Strut Lift Support
Last Updated on Wednesday Mar 14, 2018
If your Audi hood does not stay up the problem is often the hood struts, also known as hood lift support, hood shock, gas strut. In this guide, you will learn how to replace the hood struts on Audi models such as A1 A3 A4 A5 A6 Q3 Q5 Q7. Changing Audi hood hydraulic sturts is easy and takes less than half an hour.
The hood strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- Audi Hood won't stay up
- Hood won’t stay open by itself anymore
- Audi hood will not stay open
- Audi hood stays open for a few seconds then closes
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Audi Hood Lift Support
- Flat Screwdriver
- Helper to keep Audi hood up
Open the hood of your Audi. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on driver's side.
Secure the hood in upright position. Locate the hood struts that need to be replaced.
Audi hood strut is shown on a Q5. Have a friend hold up the hood of your Audi. If the hood falls while you are changing the hood lifts on your car, you can get seriously injured.
Locate the clip that locks the hood support locks to the ball joint.
Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
A picture of Audi hood gas strut connecting to the hood.
Picture of Audi A4 hood strut connecting to the frame.
Follow the same procedure for the other side if your Audi has two hood struts. You may notice that at this point your Audi will stay up with only one new hood strut. Replace both hood struts if your Audi has two hood struts. Otherwise, the new hood strut that you replaced will be doing all the heavy lifting and will wear prematurely. Some Audi models such as the A4 shown above may have only one hydraulic hood support.
Install the new hood support in reverse order.
Repeat this procedure for the other side.
- Handle gas-filled hood struts with care. The struts have pressurized gas inside which can cause injuries if it explodes.
- If your vehicle has to hood struts, replace both of them at the same time.
- Always have a helper support the hood while you change the supports.