How to change battery on BMW 3-Series E90 E91 E92 E93
Here you will find step by step instructions on how to change the battery on BMW 3-Series E90 E91 E92 E93. These steps apply to BMW 316i, 318i, 320i, 323i, 325, 328, 330, 335i, 320d, 330d, 335d and M3 models manufactured from 2004-2013.
To change the battery on BMW 3-Series you will need a few basic tools including 10mm, 13mm sockets, ratchet and terminal cleaning brush. Note that you must also carry out battery registration procedure.
- BMW 3-Series does not start
- Battery dead and does not hold a charge
- 3-Series engine cranks very slow
- BMW has no power or lights
Before you get started
- The smallest battery you can install on the 3-series would be an H6, L3 or Group 48 battery with minimum cold cranking amps of 570 A.
- If your BMW 3-Series battery has died it is important to perform a charging system test to verify the battery is the culprit.
- If the battery on your 3-series is over five years old, you should consider replacing it.
- If the new battery on your 3-Series drains again it can be due to a parasitic draw.
Remove key from ignition
Before you get started replacing the car battery on your BMW 3-Series remove the key from the ignition. BMW can be sensitive to voltage drops and keeping the key in the ignition can cause electrical problems.
Open trunk. In your BMW 3-Series, the battery is located in the trunk. To access the battery you need to remove the cover on the right side of the trunk.
Remove panel to access the battery.
Disconnect negative cable
Next, you need to disconnect the battery. Start by disconnect the negative battery terminal on your BMW.
Disconnect positive cable
Next, disconnect the positive battery terminal. Be careful to avoid any shorts between the positive and negative battery terminals.
Remove battery bracket. Here is a close up of the battery bracket on your BMW 3-Series.
Clean battery terminals
Clean battery terminals of your BMW 3-Series using a terminal brush. This will ensure that a good connection is made between the clamp and battery post.
Install new battery
Install the new battery and reconnect battery terminals. First, connect the positive battery post to your BMW 3-Series. Lastly, connect the negative terminal. Use battery fiber washer to prevent corrosion of the battery terminals.
Now it is time to start the car. Follow the instructions found in your owner's manual to synchronize windows, sunroof, seats and reset any radio preset stations. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left then right a couple of times to reset the steering angle sensor and the DSC light.
Perform Battery Registration
Follow steps to perform BMW battery registration.🔺