In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the turn signal switch and cruise control switch on a BMW vehicle.
What you will need
Follow these steps to learn how to change the BMW turn signal switch.
- Disconnect the negative terminal.
- Remove the airbag from the driver's steering wheel. Detailed instructions on how to replace the BMW steering wheel and airbag can be found here.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Pull up the plastic trim away from the steering column. There usually is a couple of screws below the bottom trim that need to be removed.
- Remove the turn signal stalk arm from the steering column switch unit known as the SZL unit.
- Avoid rotating the clock spring; otherwise, you may need to perform steering angle sensor calibration.
Symptoms of a bad turn signal switch
If your BMW turn signal switch fails, you may experience various problems, including:
- BMW turn signals not working
- Turn signal stalk does not cancel
- One of the turn signals is not working.
- Turn signal switch does not stay in place.
- High beam switch/flashers not working
- Cruise control is not working.
It is important to properly diagnose the problem before any BMW parts are replaced.
We recommend that an auto mechanic that specializes in BMW properly diagnoses your car.