How to change Chevrolet Key Fob Battery
Last Updated on Tuesday May 01, 2018
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change Chevrolet key fob battery. Click on the key fob that matches your Chevy keyfob. Watch a how-to video. The battery size for that Chevy key fob is stated below the video.
SELECT YOUR KEY FOB BELOW
Battery Size: CR2032 3V
This key fob is used in many Chevrolet vehicles including Chevy Camaro, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, Sonic, Spark, Volt and other models, years 2010 to 2016.
The buttons for the key can wear out and crack over time. It is possible to change the shell of this key and avoid having to buy a new key. A new Chevrolet flip key shell can be purchased online.
- Flip the metal key blade.
- Pry out the back cover of the key fob with your hands.
- Remove the dead battery from your Chevrolet keyfob.
- Slide the new battery in making sure the positive is facing you.
- Press the back cover of the key fob back until you hear it snap.
- OHT01060512, 5461A-01060512, ADP99071503S, OHT01060512, 5461A-01060512, 13500221 13500226.
Battery Size: CR2032 3V (One)
This is the newer Chevy key fob used in vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. This key allows you to lock and unlock your Chevy when you get within 3 feet from the door. The lock and unlock feature work from a distance of 60 m /197 ft away. If you are not able to unlock the car a dead battery can be the problem.
If the case or the buttons on your remote have worn out, consider changing the case instead of buying a key. Search for Chevrolet Smart Key Shell.
- Remove the metal key by pressing the chrome button on the side.
- Pull out the metal key.
- Pry open the key fob. The shell will open in two halves.
- Remove the key fob circuit board and buttons.
- Now you can see the battery. Use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the old battery. Pay attention to the orientation of the positive (+) side of the battery.
- Install the new battery in your Chevy key fob remote. Make sure the positive (+) side of the battery is just like the old battery.
- Place the key fob board back on the shell.
- Close the shell until you hear it snap together. If the key fob does not close easily do not force it. Check that the buttons or the circuit board are seated properly and try closing the shell again.
- Insert the metal key into the key fob.
Battery Type: CR2032 Button Cell Battery
This Chevy key fob is one of the most popular keyfobs to date. It is used on models such as Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Traverse, 1500, 2500, Silverado etc.
If the buttons have worn out, you can simply replace the shell instead of buying a new key fob. You can buy a GM 4 button shell case and replace it yourself. You already know how to open up the case and remove the circuit from the keyfob.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to open the key fob. There is a small slot on the side of the key fob where you can insert the screwdriver.
- Twist the screwdriver to force the key fob shell to open.
- Remove the battery by sliding it out.
- Install the new battery. Pay attention to the positive (+) side of the battery.
- Close the key fob shell by pressing it together until you hear it snap.
- OUC60270, OUC60221, M3N5WY8109, 850K60270, 850K60221, 15913421, 20868672, 20952474, 22759546, 22936098, BB111-PT, BB112-PT, GMX-100C, 5903089, G0001-G3631, 692931, TP12GM37P, GMX380CP.
Battery Type: CR2032 3V Battery
This video shows you how to change the battery on Chevy rectangle key fob. Sometimes it may be referred to as the square or chrome Chevy key. This Chevy key fob is used on models such as Colorado and Silverado, Crew Cab, Crew Cab, Pickups etc. The key may have black or chrome sides.
The buttons on this key fob can wear over time. It is possible to replace just the shell which is a lot cheaper than buying a new key. A new shell for this key fob can be purchased online. See these listings on Chevy Chrome Key Fob.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to pop out the back cover of the key fob.
- Use a small screwdriver to push the battery to the side. Lif up the battery.
- Install the new battery with the Positive (+) side facing you.
- Press the back cover into the key fob.
Battery Type: Two CR2016 3 Volt Battery
Watch a video to learn how to change the battery in this Chevy key fob. This key fob was standard on older Chevrolet vehicles such as Chevrolet Astro, Blazer, S10, Suburban, Silverado, Tahoe. The same remote is also used on GMC and Oldsmobile vehicles. Note that this keyfob uses two batteries.
If your old remote has worn out or is damaged, you can buy a new or even used keyfob in better shape and simply move the circuit board to the new key fob. Search listings of Chevrolet GM Oldmobile 3 Button Keyfob.
- Use a flat screwdriver and insert it at the gap at the end of the keyfob.
- Twist the screwdriver to open the case.
- Pop out the old battery.
- Install the new battery. Make sure the positive side of the battery is facing the back cover.
- Press the back and front covers together to close the key fob.
- ABO0104T, 10205240 10205240 10205241 10239647 15731442 15955702 FCC ID# ABO0104T 10205240
If the remote does not work after changing the battery, check the following.
- Use the key to lock/unlock the vehicle. Start the vehicle with the same key. If your car has Start/Stop button, press the keyfob on the button to start it.
- If the remote does not lock/unlock the doors open the key fob and make sure the Positive (+) is installed on the correct side.
- Remove other objects from the vicinity that may be interfering with the range of your key.
- If your remote is still not working it may require programming by your dealer or locksmith.
- When replacing a key fob battery, do not touch the circuit board with bare hands. Static from your body could damage the remote.