Learn how to change the engine air filter on BMW 3-Series 2004-2013. Replacing the engine air filter on a 3-Series engine is easy and can be done in under 20 minutes. A new BMW 3-Series engine air filter can be purchased online for under $25.
It is recommended to change the engine air filter once a year or every 15,000 miles. This guide applies to BMW E90 E91 E92 E93 from 2004-2013.
What you will need
- Park your BMW. Turn off the ignition.
- Pull the hood release found under the driver's side dashboard.
- Press the hood latch at the front of the hood and lift the hood up.
- Locate the engine air filter on your BMW 3-Series. As shown in this picture the air filter, is the large black box on the driver's side.
- To remove the old filter, remove two torx screws shown in the picture.
- Open the air filter housing and pull out the old filter. Inspect the condition of the air filter. Check the filter housing to make sure it free of dust, particles or leaves. Use a vacuum to clean the air filter housing of your BMW 3-Series if necessary.
- Install new BMW 3-Series air filter and secure the screws. Ensure the housing is closed properly