In this step-by-step guide, you will find instructions on how to change engine oil on Hyundai / Kia cars that have the 2.0 turbocharged engine or the 2.4L four-cylinder Theta II engine.
Before you start
- The first step is to warm up the engine for two to three minutes then turn off the engine. It will help with the suspended contaminations remix with the oil and draining out the old oil.
- You must secure the vehicle with jack stands in addition to the jack.
What you will need
Start by ensuring that the emergency brakes have been set. Next, locate the hood release found in the interior of the car. Pull the hood release until you hear the hood pop up.
Move to the front of the car and release the latch, then lift up the hood.
Jack up the front of the Hyundai using the jack that came with your car or an aluminum jack.
ALWAYS use jack stands to secure the car. Using ramps makes changing the oil a much easier job and safer. If you plan on changing the oil on a regular basis you may want to consider investing in a set of ramps.
Remove Drain Plug & Drain Oil
The early model Hyundai had an access hole where you can drain the oil and remove the filter.
Some models don't have the access holes so you will need to remove the 10 mm bolts and pull down the skid plate in order to remove access to the oil filter and drain plug.
Watch the following video on how to remove the engine skid plate from a 2016 Kia Optima which is a very similar design to Hyundai Sonata.
Locate the drain plug and remove the bolt. Use a 17 mm socket to remove this bolt by turning it counter-clockwise.
Once you break the bolt loose, you can use your hands to remove the bolt. Make sure to have the oil catch pan located under the oil drain hole.
Be careful when draining the oil. If the engine hasn't cooled down the oil may be hot and cause burning. Allow at least five minutes for the old oil to drain. If time allows, let the oil drain for at least fifteen minutes or more.
Clean the drain plug and the oil bolt using a clean dry cloth. Reinstall the drain bolt using your hand first. This will ensure that the bolt starts to go smoothly and no threads get damaged.
If you have a new washer for the drain bolt make sure to install it. Tighten the oil drain plug by hand until it stops. Then tighten the bolt to 25 ft-lbs.
Remove and replace the oil filter
Locate the oil filter. In the following picture, the oil filter stands out as it is red. The filter can be removed by twisting it counterclockwise.
Use oil filter tool such as TEKTON 12-inch oil filter pliers to remove the old oil filter. Oil may still be in the filter, so be careful as you remove the old filter to avoid spilling oil on your hands.
Clean the surface where the oil filter will be installed. Apply engine oil to the gasket on the new oil filter.
Screw the new oil filter in and tighten the filter to 11.5 ft-lb.
Add Engine with Oil
Remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine. The oil filter cap should be labeled and usually has the recommended oil type stamped on it.
Remove the cap by unscrewing it counterclockwise. Insert a funnel into the oil filler hole. Slowly pour the oil into the engine. Once you add the recommended amount of engine oil, reinstall the oil cap.
Check Engine Oil Level
Make sure the oil is below the FULL mark but above the LOW on the oil dipstick.
Reset Oil Service Interval
Once you make sure the oil level is right you can now start the engine. Don't forget to reset the oil service reminder. In your Hyundai dashboard menu look for the Distance to Service reminder.
The following are instructions on how to reset the Oil Reminder on Hyundai. These instructions may vary on different Hyundai models.
- Press and hold the RESET button until the instrument cluster displays Engine Oil Service Reminder
- Scroll down using the TRIP button and select the Maintenace menu.
- Select an item press the RESET button again.
- Select the maintenance schedule. Note that this will depend on the oil and filter that you used. If you used a conventional oil you will need to change your oil in 3000 miles. Some synthetic oils provide protection for up to 15,000 miles.
This Hyundai oil change guide applies to the following vehicles.
2.0 L TurboTheta Engine (G4KA, G4KD, G4KF, G4KH,)
- Hyundai Genesi Coupe 201, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Hyundai Sonata GDI 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
- Hyundai ix35 2010 -
- Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
2.4 L Theta / Theta-II Engine (G4KC, G4KE, G4KG, G4KJ,)
- Hyundai Sonata (2006-2010)
- Hyundai Sonata GDI (2011- )
- Hyundai Tucson (2010- )
- Hyundai Santa Fe (2010- )