In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions with pictures and videos on how to change Honda engine oil.
This guide applies to Honda vehicles equipped with the 3.5L V6 engine including Honda Accord, Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Honda Inspire, Honda Ridgeline. This guide is also applicable to Acura vehicles that use the same V6 3.5L engine including Acura CL, Acura MDX, Acura RL, Acura TL, Acura TLX, Acura TSX, Acura RLX.
What you will need
- Honda 3.5L Oil Filter
- Synthetic Engine Oil
- Engine Oil Weight
- SAE 5W-30, 5W-40 (J35A engine)
- SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 (J35Z engine)
- SAE 5W-20 (J35Y engine)
- Oil Capacity
- 4.7 l (5.0 qt) - before 2003;
- 4.3 l (4.5 qt) - 2003-2013;
- 5.4 l (5.7 qt) - 2013+
- Engine Oil Weight
- Drain plug washer (Typically included with the new filter.)
- 17mm wrench
- Jack stand
- Car Jack or Car ramps
- Oil drain pan
- Oil filter pliers
- Clean lint-free cloth
Step-by-step instructions on how to change engine oil on a Honda V6 engine.
- Drive your Honda up on ramps or jack up the vehicle using a jack.
- Set the parking brakes, turn off the engine, and remove the key from the ignition.
- Secure the vehicle with jack stands. Do not get under the vehicle if it is not supported with jack stands.
- Locate the oil pan and oil drain plug. On the newer Honda and Acura vehicles, you will need to remove the plastic splash shield under the engine.
- Place an oil drain pan directly under the oil pan drain plug.
- Carefully remove the oil drain plug by turning it counterclockwise. Be careful when oil starts to drain since the oil may be warmed up and could burn your hands. Make sure to use gloves. You may want to allow the oil to drain while replacing the oil filter. This will allow you to let the old oil out as much as possible.
- Replace the oil drain plug copper washer.Watch the following video on how to perform this step.
- Install the oil drain plug and tighten it with 29 ft/ lbs or if no torque tool is available tight it by using a ¾ drive ratchet wrench. Tighten it by hand, then give it an extra half-turn with the wrench.Do not overtighten it. Clean the oil pan and any area around the oil pan where oil has dripped.
- Locate the oil filter on the side of the engine.
- Place an oil drain pan below the filter to avoid oil spilling on the ground.
- Use oil filter pliers to get the old oil filter loose. Use an old rug and remove the filter by hand by turning it counterclockwise.
- Visually compare the new oil filter to the old one, check to make sure the size and threads are the same.
- It is recommended to pre-fill the oil filter with new oil. Lube the oil filters O ring and hand tight the oil filter. Do not use the oil filter tool when installing the oil filter.
Locate the oil cap at the top of the engine and remove it by turning it counterclockwise.
- Use a clean oil funnel and add in 4 quarts of the recommended engine oil and close the oil filler cap.
- Remove the oil dipstick.Clean it with a clean lint-free cloth.
- Reinsert the dipstick fully in the tube. Pull the dipstick and check the oil level.The oil level should be in the hatched area. If it is too low add more oil to be in between the low and high marks on the dipstick. Visibly inspect if there is any leakage around the oil filter and oil drain plug.
- Remove the jack stands and do a test drive to warm up the oil. After the test drive let sit for two minutes and check the oil level once more. Make sure the vehicle is parked on a leveled surface. If the oil level is good, check for visible leakages once more.
- If a vehicle has a maintenance warning for oil life please reset it according to the owner's manual.
Monitor your parking area to make sure there is no oil dripping after you have performed the oil change. Usually, after the first day, there might be a little spot if the area if the engine wasn’t cleaned well but on the following day there should be none. If you have spotting check the oil drain plug and the oil filter flange if there for any leakage.
- Oil durian plug: 29 ft/lbs
- Most common torque rating for drain plug on Honda vehicles. It can vary depending on the bolt side and thread type.
- The oil filters should be hand-tightened without any tool.
- Use an old rag to tighten it up manually as much as you can without over-tightening it.
- Oil capacity is 4.5 quarts or 4.2 liters
How much does an oil change cost
Honda oil change price depends on whether your vehicle requires synthetic oil or not and also oil capacity. Full synthetic Honda oil change price ranges between $80-$150 while conventional oil change ranges between $40 and $95 at a dealership. While at local auto repair shops you can get Honda oil change for as low as $19.99 with a coupon.
Is it possible to change engine oil with an oil pump?
Yes. You can use an oil pump such as Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.
I forgot to oil the gasket for the oil filter, is that a problem?
No, as long as the filter is on tight.
Do I have to change my oil even if I do not reach the recommended mileage or if the oil life system doesn’t recommend me to change the oil?
Yes, you have to change your oil at least once a year with the recommended Full Synthetic oil. Short distance drives are stressing the oil more then longer trips since the oil can’t heat up properly to burn residues from gasoline and condensed water which occurs to every heat up and engine cool down.
Why can't I see any oil on my dipstick after filling the suggested oil capacity?
The oil on your dipstick is all new and clean. Rotate the dipstick from a different angle to see the clean oil reflecting on it.