In this guide, you will learn how to change the oil filter on a Nissan 3.5L engine also known with code name VQ35DE.
In this guide, you will learn how to replace the clock spring (spiral cable) and steering angle sensor on Nissan vehicles.
It is not uncommon for Nissan clock spring to fail to cause various problems. Some of the most common Nissan clock spring problems include.
- Nissan Airbag Light On,
- Horn Does Not Work,
- Nissan Steering Wheel Buttons don't work,
- SRS Fault Code: Driver squib circuit open or high resistance
- Typical Codes: Code B1049 and B1054
What you will need
- Clock Spring
- Secure Torx Set
- Mechanic Metric Toolset
- 19mm socket
- 3/8" ratchet
- Torque wrench
- Park your Nissan and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition.
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery terminal.
- Remove Torx bolts on the side of the steering wheel. Once the bolts are loose or removed the airbag can be removed. You will need to use secure torx bit with a hole in the center.
- Unplug the wires from the back of the driver's airbag. Watch video on how to remove Nissan airbag.
- Remove the center bolt that secures the Nissan steering wheel to the steering column. Mark the steering wheel and column before you remove the steering wheel.
- Unplug steering wheel button wire harness. Watch video on how to remove Nissan steering wheel.
- Remove the plastic trim screws. Then separate the two parts fo the steering column trim by pulling them apart. Watch video on how to perform this step.
- Next, you need to remove the clock spring which is held in place with several screws.
- Unplug the wires from the clock spring.
- In this case, the clock spring and Nissan steering angle sensor are integrated together.
- Install new Nissan spiral cable/clock spring. The clock spring needs to be installed in the center position.
- Don't wind up the clockspring to the left or right. Clock spring has a limited number of turns. If you turn it all the way to one side, the ribbon can't take more steering wheel turns.
- This is a common mistake which causes the clock spring to fail shortly after installation.
- Watch video on how to install Nissan clock spring / spiral cable/steering angle sensor.
- Install Nissan steering column cover.
- Install the steering wheel and torque the center bolt to 35Nm.
- Install the steering wheel and torque the center bolt.
- Install the airbag. Connect the steering wheel button and airbag wires. Torque the bolts that secure the airbag to the steering at 10Nm.
We recorded this video series on a 2017 Nissan Quest but these instruction are similar to Nissan Maxima, Altima, Murano, Titan, Qashqai, Navara, Pathfinder, Sentra and Rouge.