In this guide, you will learn how to replace the combination switch on Nissan vehicles.
Nissan combination switch has multiple switches including the turn signal switch, headlight switch, low/high beam stalk, and wiper switch.
The video clips on this tutorial were recorded on a 2017 Nissan Quest but these instructions should help owners of Nissan Versa, Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Murano, Titan as well.
If the combination switch fails on your Nissan you will notice one or more of the following problems.
- Nissan Turn Signals don't work,
- Wiper does not work,
- Turn signal does not cancel,
- Low or High stalk does not work
What you will need
- Park your Nissan and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition of your Nissan.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery terminal.
- Remove Torx bolts on the side of the steering wheel. You will need to use secure Torx bit with a hole in the center.
- Unplug the wires from the back of the driver's airbag. Watch video on how to remove Nissan airbag.
- Remove center bolt that secures Nissan steering wheel to the steering column. Mark the steering wheel and column before you remove the steering wheel.
- Unplug steering wheel button wire harness. Watch video on how to remove Nissan steering wheel.
- Remove the plastic trim. Watch video on how to perform this step.
- Next, you need to remove the clock spring which is held in place with several screws.
- Unplug the wires from the clock spring.
- In this case, the clock spring and Nissan steering angle sensor are integrated together.
- Remove Nissan Quest Altima Maxima Rouge Murano Titan combination switch which has the turn signal and wiper stack in it.
- Install new Nissan spiral cable/clock spring. The clock spring needs to be installed in neutral position. Don't wind it up to the left or right. Clock spring has a limited number of turns. If you turn it all the way to one side, the ribbon can't take more steering wheel turns or it may get damaged shortly after installation.
- Watch video on how to install Nissan clock spring/spiral cable/steering angle sensor.
- Install Nissan steering column cover.
- Install the plastic cover before you install the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel and torque the center bolt to 35Nm.
- Install the airbag. Connect the steering wheel and airbag wires. Torque the bolts that secure the airbag to approximately 8-10Nm.
- Rember to reconnect the negative battery terminal. Ensure the airbag light is off. Test the horn and the steering wheel button operation.