In this guide, you will find instructions on how to replace side mirror glass on Volvo vehicles.
How to Change Volvo Engine Oil Yourself
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the engine oil on a Volvo vehicle.
What you will need
- Drive your Volvo up on car ramps. Block rear wheels.
- Put the car in park, and apply the emergency brakes.
- Secure the vehicle with jack stands placed under the lifting points or a structural member.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dash.
- Locate the oil filler cap on top of the engine. Note the recommended oil grade listed on the cap.
- Rotate the cap counter-clockwise to remove it.
- If your Volvo has a splash shield, remove it. It is held in place with several 10mm bolts.
- Locate the 13mm oil drain plug and place the drain pan below it.Remove the oil drain plug by turning it counter-clockwise.
- Locate the engine oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter using oil filter pliers.
- Before installing a new oil filter, apply a small amount of oil to the oil filter gasket ring. Torque oil filter to 25 Nm.
- Replace the copper ring on the oil drain plug.
- When all of the oil has drained, reinstall the oil drain plug. Torque the drain plug to 35 Nm.
- Add 5 L oil through the oil filter hole. Be careful not to over-fill the engine with oil.
- Wait for several minutes before checking the oil level using a dipstick. Add more oil to bring the level between Min and Max marks of the dipstick.
- Replace the oil filer cap, and check if any tools are left inside the engine bay.
- Start the engine and check if the oil pressure light goes off within five seconds.
- Turn off the engine, wait at least five minutes, and recheck the oil level. Add engine oil if the level is low.
- Inspect for oil leaks in the next couple of days.
Instructions in this guide will help you change the engine oil on Volvo XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.
Oil Change Interval
- 12000 km / 7500 miles
Recommend Volvo engine oil change interval is 7500 miles. This range may vary depending on the engine and oil type. See the owner's manual.
- Every 3000 miles
Semi-synthetic / Synthetic Blend
- Every 5000 miles
- Every 7500 miles
|Engine Code||Volume (liters)||Viscosity|
|B8444S “ 4.4 V8||Approx. 6.7||SAE 5W-30|
|B6324S “ 3.2 238hp (2007)||Approx. 7.7||SAE 5W-30|
|B6324S “ 3.2 238hp (2008 on)||Approx. 7.4||SAE 5W-30|
|B6324S5 “ 3.2 243hp||Approx. 6.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B6304S “ 2.9 200 hp||Approx. 6.6||SAE 5W-30|
|B6294S “ 2.9 200 hp||Approx. 6.6||SAE 5W-30|
|B6294T “ 2.9 T6 272 hp||Approx. 6.6||SAE 5W-30|
|B6284T “ 2.8 T6 272 hp||Approx. 6.6||SAE 5W-30|
|B5244S “ 2.4i 170 hp||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5244S6||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5244T4 “ 2.4 T5 260 hp||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5244T5 “ 2.4 T5 260 hp||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5254T2 “ 2.5T 210 hp||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5254T3||Approx. 5.8||SAE 5W-30|
|B5254T4 “ R “ 2.5 T 300 hp||Approx. 5.5||SAE 5W-30|
Check your owner's manual to get the recommended oil change interval for your Volvo.
- Oil filter - 25 Nm
- Drain bolt - 35 Nm
Published on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020.