In this guide, you will find instructions on how to charge a dead BMW battery.
The best method to charge a BMW battery is to use a 12-volt trickle charger and to make sure to use the jump start terminals under the hood.
Ideally, the battery should be charged off the car, but if the battery has no damaged cells it can be charged in the vehicle as well.
What you will need
The proper way to charge a BMW battery is by using the jump start terminals under the hood.
- Open the driver door using the emergency key found inside the key fob.
- Pull the hood release twice and open the hood.
- Locate the positive terminal under in the engine bay.
- Connect the red clamp from your charger to this post.
- Locate the negative terminal under the hood. BMW has a designated copper post. If you can't find the negative (ground) post, connect the black clamp to one of the strut tower bolts.
- Determine the battery type. Battery type is printed on top of the battery. Battery type will be Regular/Lead Acid/Flooded or AGM battery. If the battery has a black case it most likely is an AGM battery. If the battery has a white case it is a regular or flooded battery.
- Plug your charger into a wall outlet or extension cord.
- Allow the battery to get charged or stay fully charged. Do not keep the key in the ignition while the battery is charging. If you are charging a fully discharged battery, it can take up to 24 hours to charge your BMW battery.
BMW batteries are used even when the car is turned off.
Typically it takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes for all BMW systems to go to "sleep". Even when the car has entered a "sleep mode" 0.1-0.5A is still drawn from the battery.
- Car won't start
- Battery Warning Light on
- Airbag light on
- Battery dies when parked for an extended time
- Instrument Cluster Warning Lights on
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a slow charger to jump-start a BMW?
Yes, you can but you need to allow the battery to charge for several hours. A slow charger only puts out about 2 to 12 amps which is not a lot much current. If your BMW battery is fully discharged it can take about 10 hours or more for the battery to get charged.
Where is the battery charging location on a BMW?
The charging points on a BMW are (also known as the jump starting terminals) located in the engine bay. The positive terminal is covered with a red plastic cover.