Chevrolet vehicles equipped with Bluetooth capabilities allow you to make hand-free calls or listen to music from your phone.
If your Chevrolet battery has died because you forgot the lights or the radio was on, it doesn't mean that you need to replace the battery. It just means the battery is discharged and needs to be charged.
In this guide, you will learn how to charge a Chevrolet battery with a trickle charger to bring the battery back to a fully charged state.
This method will not only bring your Chevrolet battery back to life and allow you to start the engine but ensures that the longevity of your battery is not impacted.
Risk of fire. Do not leave the vehicle unattended.
What you will need
- Park your Chevrolet and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition or if you have proximity key, keep it away from the car.
- Open the hood of your Chevrolet by pulling the hood release under the dashboard. Once you hear the hood pop open you can stop pulling on the cable. Move the front of the vehicle and lift up the hood.
- Locate the battery. Some Chevrolet has a plastic cover on top of the battery. Remove the slips or screws that hold the cover in place.
- You can also use the POSITIVE jump starting terminal to charge the battery. In newer Chevrolet vehicles it is required to charge the battery from this post.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal (+).
- Use a 10mm wrench and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative (-) post on the battery terminal.
- Use a 12-volt car battery charger to charge the main battery. Allow the battery to charge for a few hours. Monitor the vehicle for the first couple of hours and not leave the vehicle unattended. If the battery overheats during charging disconnect the charger.
These instructions apply to Chevrolet vehicles such as Spark, Sonic, Bolt, Volt, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Corvette, City Express, Trax, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Colorado, Silverado, Sonic, Blazer, Astro, HHR, Uplander, Avalanche, etc.
Can I charge the battery by leaving the car running?
It is possible to jump-start your Chevrolet with a jump box or another car and let it run for 30 min or more.
This method can have an impact on the life of the battery.
Jump starting a Chevy with a dead battery can trigger low voltage fault codes in various modules.