Newer Acura vehicles monitor your driving habits and make adjustments to the throttle response and transmission shifting points.
In this guide, you will find step by step directions on how to check engine coolant level on an Acura.
- Engine Overheating,
- The temperature gauge sows HIGH,
- Check Coolant or Low Engine Coolant Message
- Coolant smell present
What you will need
- Acura Engine Coolant
- Typically mixed 50% coolant, 50% distilled water.
- Allow the engine to cool down. If you open the coolant reservoir cap while the engine is still hot, you risk getting burned by the engine coolant.
- Open Hood. Locate the hood release underneath the dashboard of your Acura. Pull the lever until you hear the Acura hood pop open.
- Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of your car.
- Lift up the hood and secure it in the open position. Watch the following video if you still need help with this step.
- Locate Coolant Reservoir
- This is the location where you add engine coolant reservoir on a 2016 Acura TSX.
- Add coolant/antifreeze to the overflow reservoir (white coolant tank). Remove the radiator cap and top off the radiator only when the engine has cooled down. If you need help with this step, watch the following video.
Recommended Acura Coolant Type
Wondering what type of coolant do Acura cars use?
Coolant that is generally used in Acura vehicles is in most cases Honda Type 2 engine coolant. It is backward compatible. The Acura coolant color is typically blue, not green.
Recommended coolant for most Honda and Acura vehicles.
A list of alternative coolant types that you can use on your Acura. It is important to check the compatibility of the coolant with your Acura by reading the label on the back of the coolant bottle. Certain coolants may not compatible with Honda/Acura and can cause premature wear of the seals in the water system.
Check your owners manual or call your dealer to verify. Use Honda genuine coolant whenever possible.
If the coolant that you purchase says FULL CONCENTRATE on the bottle, you will need to mix it 50/50 with distilled water.