- Always use the correct power steering fluid for your vehicle.
- Using the wrong power steering fluid can cause damage to the seals in the power steering system.
- If you have a power steering leak or suspect a leak don't ignore it. Have an auto mechanic locate the source of the leak.
- If you continue to drive without power steering fluid, it will damage the pump which is very costly to replace.
- Use a funnel to avoid spilling fluid on your engine. Do not allow any contamination to get inside the reservoir. Be careful to not overfill your power steering reservoir above the maximum mark.
- Check the power steering fluid when the engine is cold or as recommended by the manufacturer for your specific model.
- If you notice that the power steering fluid is dark it may be time to change the power steering fluid.
- Make sure to park your vehicle on a level surface to get an accurate level.