In this guide, you will learn how to add power steering fluid on a Mazda vehicle. The pictures on this guide are from a 2015 Mazda 5. These instructions should help owners of Mazda 3 5 6 CX3 CX5 CX7 and CX9,
If the power steering fluid is low on your Mazda5 make sure to add power steering fluid as soon as possible to avoid damage to the power steering pump.
When the power steering level is low on your Mazda you will notice some or all of the following symptoms.
- Whining noise
- Squealing noise when turning
- Difficulty in turning the steering wheel
- Steering wheel vibrations
- Power Steering Malfunction Indication on Instrument Cluster
- Steering wheel feels heavy to turn
What you will need
- Mazda Power Steering Fluid
- Typical: Mazda Genuine ATF M-III , M-V, or equivalent, e.g. Dexron® II
- Check owners manual for correct type.
Open hood. Locate the hood release underneath the dash. Pull the lever until you hear the hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of the hood.
- Locate power steering reservoir in the engine bay. In this case, the power steering pump is located on the driver/passenger side of the engine bay.
- Once you find the power steering reservoir on your Mazda 5, remove the cap. Inspect current condition of the power steering fluid.
Determine Low and High marks. If you look carefully on the side of the power steering reservoir, you will notice a Low and Max level for the power steering fluid.
- Determine if the current power steering level is below the minimum level.
Add power steering fluid to bring the level between the Min and Max marks. Adding power steering fluid on a Mazda is very easy.
Do not drive your Mazda 5 for an extended period if the power steering fluid level is low.
Maza typically recommends that you use Mazda ATF M-III or Dexron II. Every model is different. Make sure to check your owners manual.
If your power steering fluid level keeps dropping within a few days or even weeks, you may leak in the system and need to diagnose or repair your power steering system immediately.
Follow these step-by-step instructions and watch the videos in this guide to learn how to add power steering fluid on a Mazda5.