In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to remove and replace the coolant overflow reservoir (coolant expansion tank) on Porc
How to Check Audi Engine Coolant Level & Add Antifreeze
In this guide, you will find instructions on checking the engine coolant on an Audi and adding the recommended antifreeze if the level is low.
When your Audi engine coolant level is low, you will get a warning on the dashboard that shows the temperature light and says: "Check Coolant! See owner's manual".
Do not ignore the engine coolant warning on an Audi or drive with the light on.
- Do not open the radiator or coolant expansion cap when the engine is hot.
- Allow the engine to cool down.
What you will need
- Audi Engine Coolant
- Only use Audi recommended engine coolant listed in your owner's manual. Typically it is VW G13 or G12 engine coolant.
- It is not recommended to use a store-bought coolant. It may not meet the specifications of an Audi cooling system.
- If you decide to use a store-bought coolant, make sure to flush the system with the correct coolant as soon as possible.
- Audi /VW coolant comes in a concentrated form.
- Dilute the coolant with distilled water, 50/50.
Park your Audi on level ground and set the parking brakes.
Allow the engine to cool down. Once the engine has cooled down, you can proceed by opening the hood.
- Pull the lever until you hear the hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of the car.
- Locate the translucent engine coolant expansion reservoir.
- Look at the side to determine the current level.
- If the level is low, slowly remove the cap by turning it counterclockwise. Do not remove the cap if the engine is hot.
Add engine coolant to bring the level between the MIN and MAX marks. Only add the recommended Audi coolant type mixed at 50 % antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
These instructions apply to Audi A3, S3, RS3, A4, S4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, RS7, A8, S8, Q3, Q5, SQ5, Q7, TT, R8.
Losing coolant frequently can be a sign of a serious problem. Get your Audi diagnosed by a local automotive mechanic as soon as possible.
- What color is the Audi engine coolant?
- Audi engine coolant is typically pink. VW G12 coolant specification is pink.
- What is the recommended coolant/water ratio for Audi?
- Mix Audi engine coolant with distilled water at a 50/50 ratio on all USA models.
- Mixt at 60/40 ratio for all Canadian models.
- What to do if your Audi engine coolant light comes on?
- Check the engine coolant level.
- If the level is correct, the problem may occur due to a bad coolant level sensor.
Symptoms of low engine coolant
- Engine Overheating
- The temperature gauge in the HIGH range,
- Check Coolant Warning,
- Low Engine Coolant Message