In this guide, you will learn how to change the oil filter on a Nissan 3.5L engine also known with code name VQ35DE.
How to Check Engine Oil Level on a Nissan
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to check the engine oil level on a Nissan. Checking the oil level on a Nissan is very easy and takes less than 5 minutes. For more help, follow the instructions below.
What you will need
- Clean Cloth
- Nissan Engine Oil - ( If the level is low)
- As noted in your owner's manual or printed on top of the oil cap.
- Typically 0W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic.
- Park your Nissan on level ground.
- Apply the parking brakes and turn off the engine.
- Wait at least five minutes before you proceed to the next step. Waiting a few minutes will allow the engine oil to return to the oil pan, which means you will get an accurate reading.
- Open the hood of your Nissan by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the oil dipstick on the engine. The oil dipstick has a yellow handle. Remove it by pulling it up.
- Wipe the oil off the dipstick. Take note of the minimum and maximum marks. In this case, you can see the letter H, meaning if the level is above this line, the level is too high. You can also see the letter L, which means that if the level is below this line, the level is too low and you need to add engine oil.
- Reinsert the dipstick back into the engine. Fully reinsert the dipstick into the engine and pull it out after five seconds. Pull the dipstick out to check the engine oil level. The level needs to be between the min and max mark. In this case, you can see the oil level right between the high and low marks. If your dipstick doesn't the look like the one in the picture, watch the video below to determine the correct engine oil level in your Nissan.
- If the engine oil level is below the min mark, you need to add the recommend Nissan Engine Oil. If the recommended oil is not available, use 5W-30 synthetic but makes sure to get an oil change as soon as possible.
- Locate the oil filler cap on top of the engine.
- Remove the oil cap by turning it counter-clockwise.
- Add one quart of engine oil.
- Wait 5 min.
- Check the oil level again. If the oil level is still under the MIN mark, add more oil. Don't allow the oil to go over the full mark.
As you can see, checking the engine oil level on a Nissan is very easy and takes only a few minutes.