In this guide, you will find instructions on how to check the engine oil level and add engine oil on Cadillac vehicles.
What you will need
- A clean cloth/towel
- Synthetic Engine Oil (Only if level is low.)
- Typical: 5W-30 or 0W-20
- Check your owners manual for your oil recommended grade
- Funnel for Pouring Oil
- Shop Gloves
Park your Cadillac on a level ground and apply the parking brakes.
- Turn off the engine and wait at least five minutes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the oil dipstick on your vehicle.
- Oil dipstick on a Cadillac CTS.
- Oil dipstick on a Cadillac Escalade.
Remove the dipstick by pulling it up.
Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth. Note the minimum and maximum marks before you reinsert the dipstick back into the engine block.
- Reinsert the dipstick and press it in fully.
- Remove the dipstick and read the current engine oil level. The level needs to be between the min and max mark we saw earlier. If the engine oil level is below the min mark, you need to add engine oil to your vehicle. Continue to the next step.
Locate the oil cap on top of the engine. Unscrew the cap by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Add a quart at the time, wait a few minutes and check the level again. If the oil level is still under the MIN mark, add more engine oil. Don't overfill the engine above the MAX or FULL mark on the dipstick. Overfilling the engine with oil can cause engine problems or damage.
These instructions are meant to help all Cadillac owners such as ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR from 1990 to present.