In this guide, you will learn about common problems that trigger Dodge check engine light to stay on and how to diagnose the problem yourself.
Dodge Key Fob Battery Replacement Instructions
This guide will find videos on how to change the Dodge key fob battery on various remote.
Scroll until you find the Dodge remote that matches yours. Note that the battery type used on each remote is different.
Key Fob 1
- Release the metal key. There is a small tap that you need to press down, and the metal key will slide out.
- Use the metal key to remove the back cover on your Dodge keyless remote.
- Slide-out old battery. Slide the new battery in. Check the orientation of the battery, ensuring that you are not placing it backward.
- Snap the battery cover back in place—step 5. Get outside the car and press the Unlock / Lock buttons. If the battery installation was performed successfully, the doors should lock/unlock.
Key Fob 2
We would recommend that you use a lithium battery such as Energizer 2032 3-Volt lithium battery.
This may be referred to as the 5 button Dodge remote, but it may only have 3 buttons in some cases.
This Dodge key is found on the following Dodge models:
- Dodge Charger with Keyless Remote Smart Key Fob
- Dodge Journey with Smart Key Keyless Remote Proximity Fob
- Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 Pickup Truck Remote Fob Prox
- Dodge Durango 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
- Dodge Dart 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
- Dodge Challenger 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
- Flip over your Dodge remote, and on the back, you will see a small release switch. Press it down with a flat screwdriver, and it will release the metal/emergency key.
- Once you remove the metal key, you will notice a notch where the metal key was inserted.
- Use a coin, flat screwdriver, or the metal key to separate the key fob remote housing. You can pry apart the remote by twisting your object counterclockwise.
- Once you open up the keyfob, you will see the battery inside. Use the metal key or the screwdriver to pry out the old battery.
- Once you pop out the old battery, slide a new CR2032 battery, and press it in place. Make sure the positive "+" is not facing you. It should be facing the keyfob casing.
- Align the key fob remove the shell, and press the two halves together to close the remote. Be patient with this step.
- Slide the metal blade in the keyfob.
- Go near the car and press the "UNLOCK" and "LOCK" buttons to test the keyfob remote's operation.
Key Fob 3
This Dodge key is used on older models.
Owners of Dodge, Ram Trucks, vehicles such as the Dart, Avenger, Challenger, Charger, Durango, Journey, Grand Caravan, 2500, 3500, 4500, 5500, C/V Tradesman, 200, 300 and Town & Country will find these DIY instructions helpful.