One of the components that can fail and lead to no start condition on a Mercedes-Benz hybrid vehicle is the high voltage (HV) battery.
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to drain engine coolant (antifreeze) on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. These instructions are meant to help you drain the coolant on models such as C, E, S, CLS, CLK, ML, GL, R-class, and other models.
What you will need
- Mercedes Engine Coolant
- Quantity: Approximately 2 Gallons.
- The recommended type is listed in your owner's manual.
- Car Ramps
- Jack Stands
- Work Gloves
- Drain pan
Follow this procedure if you need to flush Mercedes engine coolant or need to replace the radiator or water pump.
- Park your vehicle and allow it to cool down.
- Drive the vehicle up on-ramps. Ensure the transmission is in park and parking brakes are on.
- Support vehicle with jack stands.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood. Locate the coolant expansion tank in the engine bay. Remove the cap to release cooling system pressure.
- Remove the undercover right behind the front bumper.It is held in place with several 8mm screws. You don't need to remove the cover under the engine.
- Place a drain bucket below the radiator on the driver's side.
- Unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side. The drain plug is easy to identify. On models such as the E-Class W210, the drain plug is red.
- Allow the engine coolant to drain for about 10 minutes.
- Tighten the drain plug after all the coolant has drained.
- Add the recommended Mercedes engine coolant from the coolant tank. If you are mixing coolant and water, ensure you are using distilled water. Do not use tap water as the chemicals found on drinking water can cause damage.
- Start the engine and let it reach operating temperature.
- Allow the engine to cool down and check the engine coolant level. Add engine coolant if needed.
- Do not work on the cooling system if the engine is still hot.
- Use Mercedes-Benz approved coolant.
- Mercedes engine also has an engine block drain located on the passenger side of the engine between the exhaust and engine mount. If you want to flush the system thoroughly, you need to drain the coolant in the engine block, as well.
Can I put water in the Mercedes-Benz cooling system?
Using tap water is not recommended. You should use distilled water and engine coolant. Or use pre-mixed engine coolant.
What color is Mercedes-Benz coolant?
Typically Mercedes engine coolant is either purple or blue. Because every Mercedes model and engine is different we recommend you look up the correct engine coolant for your Mercedes-Benz in your owner's manual.