Ford Key Fob Battery Replacement
This article provides instructions on how to change the battery on Ford key fob remotes. These instructions apply to many models such as Ford cars and trucks.These instructions are helpful for owners of Ford and Lincoln vehicles such as the Focus, Fiesta, C-Max, Mustang, Escape, Transit Connect, Edge, Flex, Explorer, Expedition, Taurus, F-150, EcoSport, MKC, MKZ, MKS, MKX, MKT and the Navigator.
What battery do I need for my Ford key remote?
Ford Keyless Remote Battery Replacement
To check size of the required battery click here.
Ford Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement
- Turn the remote over and on the rear of the remote press the release button.
- Remove the plastic cover from the remote. Place the back cover to the side. You will not see the batteries yet.
- Insert a flat screwdriver into the slot and twist it to open up the remote. You should be able to pry the two parts of the keyfob.
- Now you should be able to see the two coin cell batteries.
- Remove the first battery. Underneath it you will see a white piece of paper. Remove the paper and pull out the bottom battery as well.
- Change both batteries. Use a flat screwdriver to pop out the batteries.
- Slide in two new CR2025 batteries. Make sure that the negative (-) side is facing you.
- Install the emergency metal key back in place.
- Align the two parts with each other and press them together. The two halves should snap together as shown in the video above.
- Test the Ford key fob remote by standing outside the car and pressing "Lock" or "Unlock" buttons.
Applicable Ford Models
- Ford Fusion
- Ford Mustang
- Ford F150 F-150
Applicable Years: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018