In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions with pictures and videos on how to change Honda engine oil.
Honda Clock Spring Replacement Guide
In this article, you will find step-by-step instructions and video clips on how to replace the clock spring on a Honda Civic.
These are some of the most common symptoms of a bad clock spring on a Honda vehicle.
- Airbag / SRS Light on
- Horn doesn't work
- Traction Control / Stability Light On
- Cruise Control doesn't work
Share your symptoms in the comment section below.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Wait 15 minutes before starting to work on the airbag system.
- Remove two Torx screws on the side of the steering wheel. A panel on the bottom of the steering wheel will allow you to disconnect the airbag wires.Remove the airbag.
- Remove the 14mm bolt that secures the steering wheel in the steering column. Next, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the plastic trim from the steering column. Note that one screw is at the bottom of the plastic trim.
Watch the video on how to perform this step.
- Unclip the clock spring and disconnect the wires. Remove the clock spring.
- Install a new Honda clock spring in reverse order.
- Reconnect the battery.
When installing a new clock spring make sure that it is on center. You can verify this before installation.
Turn the clock spring all the way to the right until you feel resistance. Now count how many turns it takes to rotate the clock spring all the way to the left. If it took 6 full turns, divide by 2.
From a full turn, position comes back 3 full revolutions. This will be the center. The clock spring needs to have 3 full left or right turns available. Otherwise, the clock spring will get damaged shortly after it is installed.
SRS Light and Steering Angle Sensor Calibration
After you replace the clock spring you may need to use an OBD-II scanner to clear the airbag codes or carry out steering angle sensor (SAS) calibration. A generic OBD2 scanner will not be much help but you can use scanners such as Launch Creader or Foxwell Full System Scanner to carry out these procedures.
Owners of Honda Accord, Pilot, Civic, Fit, CR-V, Odyssey, Jazz, City, Prelude, Amaze will also find this guide helpful.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I drive with a broken clock spring?
While you can drive a Honda with a broken clock spring, you are putting yourself at risk because the driver airbag may not deploy in case of an accident. Some functions such as stability control and ABS may be disabled as well.
Can I fix my broken Honda clock spring?
Repairing broken clock springs is extremely difficult. New and used clock springs are very cheap.
Is a clock spring and spiral cable the same?
A spiral cable is inside a clock spring and often breaks.
Honda clock spring prices?
A new Honda clock spring can cost anywhere from $60 to $200. Double that if you buy it from the dealer.