Honda Driver Airbag Replacement
This guide provides step by step instructions on how to remove and replace the airbag on 2012 and newer Honda vehicles. Pictures and video recorded on a 2015 Honda Civic.
These instructions will help you replace a deployed Honda airbag. Your Honda airbag (SRS) light will remain on even after replacing the airbag. You will need to use an OBD2 Airbag Scanner to reset the airbag light.
What you will need
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove two torx T-25 bolts on each side of the steering wheel.
- Pry out the plastic cover at the bottom of the steering wheel. This will expose the airbag connector. Disconnect the yellow airbag connector and horn wire.
- Remove the airbag from Honda steering wheel by pulling it out. Keep your body 2ft away from the airbag. Handle your Honda airbag with care.
- Install new airbag in reverse order.
Risk of injury. The airbag may ignite accidentally if not handled with care.
Connect new airbag before turning on ignition.
Replaced my Honda airbag, but can't reset the SRS light
If you are not able to reset Honda SRS light with an Airbag SRS Scanner, your airbag module may need to be replaced or reset. Third party services on eBay can be used to Reset Airbag Module and are a much cheaper alternative than replacing the module.
In 2018 Honda recalled 1.4 million vehicles for defective airbag inflators. This affected models included:
- 2001-2002 Honda Accord
- 2001-2002 Honda Civic
- 2002 Honda CR-V
- 2002 Honda Odyssey
- 2003 Honda Pilot
- 2002-2003 Acura 3.2 TL
- 2003 Acura 3.2 CL