In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils on Honda four-cylinder engine.
Changing the spark plugs on a Honda is very easy and can be completed in under one hour.
The video in this guide is from a 2015 Honda Civic with a four-cylinder engine. This guide will also help owners of Honda Accord, CR-V, Fit and other models with the four-cylinder engine.
What you will need
- Park your Honda on a safe location. Set the parking brakes and remove the key.
- Pull the hood release under the hood to open the hood.
- It is recommended to disconnect the battery negative terminal and allow the engine to cool down before you get started.
- Remove the engine cover if your Honda has one. There will be two or four 10mm bolts that need to be removed. Unplug the electrical connector from the ignition coil by pressing first then pulling the connector away from the plug.
- Remove the 10mm bolts that secure the ignition coils.
- Pull out the ignition coil. If the coils don't come out, try twisting them slightly.
- Use the spark plug socket, extension, and ratchet to remove the spark plugs.
- Apply anti-seize grease to the threads of the new spark plug. Only apply a thin coat on the thread.
- Slowly move the new spark plugs into the head. Do not drop the spark plugs as this can damage the spark plug.
- Once the gasket has made contact with the cylinder head, use the torque wrench to tighten them all to the recommend tightening torque. Torque Honda spark plugs to specification. Typical Honda spark plug torque is: to 13 ft/lb, 156 in-lb, 17.63 Nm.
- Install the ignition coil by pressing them down firmly on the spark plug.
- Connect all the wires to the ignition coil. Do not swap the electrical connectors they need to go back in the same exact position as before.
- Don't use power tools to screw the spark plugs.
- If you accidentally strip the spark plug thread you will either need to remove the head and repair it.
- Another possible solution to fix stripped Honda spark plug threads is to use Spark Plug Thread Repair kit or heli-coil.
- The tightening torque for a spark plug changes with the diameter of the spark plug.
Typical Honda spark plug torque is: to 13 ft/lb, 156 in-lb, 17.63 Nm. Verify by calling your dealer.
Honda vehicles are very reliable but what many owners forget is that spark plugs are a maintenance item and should be replaced around the 80,000 and 100,000-mile mark. Many owners forget to change the spark plugs on their Honda until they get an engine misfire or hits 150k or even 200k miles.
How often should I change the spark plugs?
Most Honda vehicles including Accord, Fit, Civic, Oddyse,y CR-V, Fit etc need the spark plugs changed every 90,000 miles. Older models with cooper spark plugs should be changed every 30,000 miles. The correct Honda spark plug change interval is printed at the end of your owners manual.
What is the correct Honda spark plug socket size?
5/8" spark plug socket or a 16mm socket.
What is the correct Honda spark plug gap?
Proper plug gap will be listed on the emissions label that is sticked under the hood or near the radiator core support. Typical values: .040-.050
Honda spark plug thread size?
Typical Honda spark thread size is 14mm x 1.25mm.