If you are serious about diagnosing Hyundai and Kia car problems you need to get an advanced OBD2 scanner. In this article, you will learn how to choose the best OBD2 scanner for Hyundai.
An advanced OBD2 scanner can diagnose the check engine light and anything related to the Engine Control Unit but it can also read, clear and reset fault codes from systems such as:
- Airbag / SRS - Can help you figure out why the airbag light is on.
- Transmission - Troubleshoot Hyundai transmission problems and clear codes.
- Electronic Stability Control - Find out why the traction control light or ABS light are illuminated.
- Reset TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system)
The scanners listed here do just that and provide similar or close functionality to dealer level scanners yet don't cost as much and are reasonably priced for DIYers. Note that the scanners listed here work in both Hyundai and Kia. Even though Kia is a different brand its parent company is Hyundai Motor Group and they both share the same software.
Best OBD-II Scanners for Hyundai / Kia Vehicles
Launch Creader VII+ CRP
This is an OBD2 scanner that is affordable for Hyundai owners and is able to scan the ABS, SRS/Airbag, Engine and Transmission on Hyundai and Kia cars, SUVs and VANs. As a Hyundai owner who needs to know why the transmission is not shifting or why the ABS or SRS lights are on, this is a great scanner. It is easy to use and it costs as much as one visit to the mechanic. The main advantage of the Launch Creader is that it can diagnose over 20 different car brands, not just Hyundai and Kia.
- Works on most European, Asian and Domestic vehicles
- Can troubleshoot Engine, Transmission, ABS, and SRS/Airbag
- Can read and clear Engine DTC Code.
- Live Data Stream
- Oxygen Sensor Testing
- Works on vehicles manufactured after 1996 until now.
- Multi-Language Support
Creader VII+ Vehicle Coverage:
Asian: Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Accura, Isuzu.
Domestic: Ford, GM, Chrysler.
European: BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Landrover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar, VW.
Autel MaxiDAS DS708
The MaxiDAS DS708 provides in-depth troubleshooting and diagnostic similar to Hyundai GDS and G-Scan. It is able to access most of the systems on your Hyundai/Kia, not just the ABS, SRS, ECU and TCU. This is the best alternative to Hyundai GDS. The MaxiDAS is able to erase, clear, activate sensors, program and initialize control units. Even though it is a professional level diagnostic scanner it is relatively easy to use and much less expensive than Hyundai GDS. You see this scanner often used at independent auto repair shops. While it is one of the least expensive professional OBDII scan tools, it is on the expensive side for most Hyundai and Kia owners that do occasional repairs.
- Extensive vehicle coverage for more than 50 Domestic, Asian and European vehicle makes
- Dealer level capability including live data, ECU programming.
- Key Coding functionality, Component Activation testing.
- Sensor Initializations, ECU Adoption, Coding & Module Set Up functionality.
Average Price: $850 - $1000
Foxwell NT510 Kia/Hyundai Scanner
If you do your own Hyundai / Kia repairs and are looking for a scanner a cheap multi-system scanner that goes beyond the basic OBD2 troubleshooting this is a perfect choice. Not only is the Foxwell NT510 scanner affordable but it provides several capabilities that you only find on professional level diagnostic scanners.
Besides being able to scan the ABS, SRS/Airbag, ECU and Transmission codes it offers several other features such as:
- Reset the service oil reminder
- TPMS programming
- Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) calibration
- Program and code control units.
- Diagnose chassis, powertrain and body systems.
- Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes. Reset CEL/MIL light.
- Live sensors data streaming.
- ABS/SRS/Airbag, ECU and Transmission Diagnostics
Note that the Foxwell NT510 comes loaded with the software for certain manufacturers in this case for Hyundai/Kia. While Foxwell scanners work on other makes you will need a scanner loaded with the correct software for that specific brand.
Hyundai GDS Dealer Scanner Tool
The Hi-Scan Pro was the factory scanner for Hyundai vehicles in the past, currently, G.I.T is the OEM manufacturer of the scan tool called Global Diagnostic System (GDS) which is used at Hyundai and Kia dealers.
Hyundai GDS diagnostic scanner will give you full control of the systems on your Hyundai / Kia. With the GDS you are able to diagnose and reprogram control units. The original GDS scanner can get very expensive for Hyundai/Kia owners.
The Hyundai GDS costs thousands of dollars and requires yearly updates which for Hyundai owner's doesn't make sense unless you are an auto repair shop who specializes on Hyundai and Kia. Based on capabilities of the Hyundai GDS scanner below we have listed several OBD2 scanners that provide most of the functions of the GDS but only cost between $150-$500. We have provided links to online retailer sites where we found the lowest price on any of these scanners.
Wondering what's the best obd2 scanner for Hyundai cars? Let us look the Top alternatives to Hyundai GDS
Hyundai G-Scan 2 Tool
G.I.T. who makes the OEM diagnostic scanner for Hyundai and Kia dealers makes a second scanner called G-Scan with similar capabilities to the Hyundai GDS scanner but can be used by auto repair shops. The G-scan tool provides dealer lever control and functionality and is able to access all the systems on your Hyundai vehicles. The main difference between Hyundai G-Scan tool and Hyundai GDS is that the G-Scan can not access the Hyundai dealer network and it can not do reflashing. The G-scan is much cheaper than the Hyundai GDS scanner but it is still expensive for Hyundai and Kia owners. There are other OBD2 scanners that provide in-depth diagnostic that still cost less than Hyundai G-Scan tool.
Which is the best OBD2 scanner for Hyundai and Kia? It really depends on your needs and budget. Choosing an OBD2 scanner that will allow you to perform advanced troubleshooting can be tricky. As we mentioned earlier, if your main goal is only to read and clear the Check Engine Light than all you need is a basic OBD2 code reader. If your goal is to perform in-depth troubleshooting these are your top choices.
Best Overall OBD2 Scanner
- If you are looking for a reasonably priced scanner that goes beyond the basic OBD-2 troubleshooting and works with all your car then Launch Creader VII+ would be a good choice. You will be able to use it on multiple makes and models and will be able to scan the Engine, Transmission, SRS/Airbag and ABS systems.
Least Expensive Scanner for Hyundai/Kia
- If you need an affordable Hyundai scanner that offers similar functions to Hyundai dealer tool then the Foxwell NT510 for Hyundai is the best choice. It won't work on other brands since it will have the software just for Hyundai/Kia, but it can diagnose more problems than the Launch Creader.
Best Diagnostic Scanner for Hyundai mechanics
- If money is not a concern or if you are an auto repair shop and need to have a true professional scanner the best choice is the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 . It provides similar troubleshooting capabilities to the dealer scanner. It works on over 20 car makes and is the least expensive scanner that provides such level of diagnostics.