Hyundai Serpentine Drive Belt Replacement Guide
In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to change the serpentine belt on a Hyundai vehicle.
This guide applies to most Hyundai vehicles with a four-cylinder engine found on Accent, Santa Fe, Sonata, Veloster and Elantra. Photos and video clips are from a 2016 Hyundai Elantra.
What you will need
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Loosen the alternator bolts. There is a 12 mm and 14 mm bolt that needs to be loosened. You don't need to completely remove these bolts.
- Once the bolts are loosened the alternator can be pushed downwards which will loosen the serpentine belt.
- Remove the serpentine/drive belt from the pulleys.
- Install the serpentine belt in reverse order. Make sure that the belt is routed properly and that the belt is sitting correctly in all the pulleys.
The serpentine belt is also called the drive belt, poly v-ribbed belt or accessory belt.
In this Hyundai Elantra, the serpentine belt drives the alternator, A/C compressor, and water pump. You will need to loosen up the alternator bolts to remove and replace the serpentine belt.