Hyundai Stuck in Park Manual Shifter Release
Manually move / release Hyundai shifter
- Engage the emergency brakes.
- Locate shift lock override and remove the cap. Insert a flat screwdriver into the access hole and press down.
- Move the shifter out of park.
If your Hyundai is stuck in Park (P) it can due to several factors. Here is a list of the most common issues that can cause Hyundai cars to be stuck in park.
- Dead car battery
- Defective brake light switch
- Bad ignition switch
- Defective cable between the ignition switch and shifter
- Defective key interlock system.
Hyundai Stuck in Park issues can affect the following models.
- Hyundai gear shift is stuck in Park.
- Hyundai Veloster stuck in park
- Hyundai excel stuck in park
- Hyundai sonata stuck in park
- Hyundai Elantra stuck in park
- Hyundai Accent stuck in park
Frequently Asked Questions
If the shift lever of a Hyundai Sonata, Elantra, Sonata, Azera, Santa Fe, Elantra or Entourage won?t shift into or out of Park check to make sure that the brake light switch is working properly. This is one of the most common problems that will make a Hyundai vehicle get stuck in Park.
This can be due to a defective ignition interlock mechanism or cable.
Since the brake light switches are so inexpensive it may be a good idea to replace it with a new one, if you are having problems with your Hyundai getting stuck in Park. You can also test the operation of the brake light switch using a multimer or a diagnostic scanner. Instructions can be found here: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93466/hyundai-wont-leave-park