In this article, we take a look at the best OBD2 scanners for Subaru.
How to Jump Start a Subaru with Dead Battery
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to jump-start a Subaru using a portable jump starter.
What you will need
How to jump-start a Subaru
- Remove the emergency key from your key fob and use the metal key to unlock the driver's door.
- Ensure transmission is in Park position, and Parking Brakes are engaged. Do not insert the key in the ignition yet.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard the hood of the Subaru.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay. Note the positive jump starting terminal. Connect the positive (red) clamp to the + post.
- Connect the other red clamp on the other end of the jumper cables to the car's positive terminal with a good battery.
Connect the black clamp to the negative battery terminal on the car with the good battery.
- Lastly, connect the black cable to an unpainted bolt on the Subaru with the dead battery. A strut tower bolt, for example.
- Start the car with a good battery and let it idle in Park.
- Press unlock on your Subaru key to ensure the car is powered up and the alarm system is disabled. Start the car.
- Don't turn off the engine immediately. Allow the alternator to charge the battery for at least 30 minutes.
Why won't my Subaru start with jump-start?
If your Subaru won't start when you try to jump-start it, keep the other car running and allow it to charge your Subaru battery for 15 minutes, then try again. Also, if your Subaru doesn't start, only clicks, check the jump starter clamps. Wiggle the clamps a little bit to make sure they are making good contact and try again.
If using a jump box, keep the jump connected for 15 minutes. Make sure the jump box is fully charged.
If the battery is fully charged but your Subaru still won't start you may have a bad starter, ignition switch, or in extreme cases a seized engine.
Which Subarus do these instructions apply to?
These instructions will help you jump-start any Subaru, including models such as Outlabc, Forester, Crosstrek, Ascent, Impreza, Legacy, etc.
Published on: Thursday, January 31, 2019.