A dead battery of your Lexus can ruin your day and leave you stranded. In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to jump-start a Lexus.
What you will need
Follow the below-mentioned steps to jump-start your Lexus:
- Remove the emergency metal key from the keyfob and use it to manually open the driver's door. Some Lexus cars have the keyhole on the driver's door covered. Insert the metal key in the small slot below the door handle and pry out the cover.
- Park the vehicle that you are using to jump-start next to your Lexus. Keep the vehicles close in such a way that the jumper cables can reach both batteries. Vehicles should not touch each other.
- Ensure that the ignition is off on both the vehicles.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open it.
- Go to the front of the car and slide your hand under the hood. You need to be near the Lexus logo.
- Locate the battery on your Lexus. Typically in the engine bay, driver's side. If the battery is covered with a plastic cover, remove it to access the battery.
- Connect the red clamp to the battery positive (+) terminal.
- Attach the other red clamp to the positive terminal (+) of the car with the good battery.
Connect the black clamp to the negative temrinal (-) of the car with the good battery.
- Connect the other black clamp on the unpainted bolt or the engine block. Engine block or strut tower bolts work best. Keep the clamp at least a foot away from the dead battery.It is not recommended to connect the black clamp directly to the negative (-) terminal of the dead battery.
- Start the engine of the vehicle with a good battery and run it up to 1500 rpm for around five minutes.
- Start your Lexus. If vehicle is equpied with Start/Stop button, press it with the keyfob.
- As soon as your Lexus starts, remove the attached cables in reverse order. Drive the vehicle for around 30 minutes before you turn off the engine.
If your lights turn on but you hear a click when you press Start, the battery in your Lexus needs to charge.
You need to take some safety precautions before you start to jump-start your Lexus. Normally, the jumper cables have a set of clamps marked black and red. The red one should be used for positive and black marked for negative.
The battery of your Lexus is usually marked with ‘+’ for positive and ‘–‘ for the negative terminal. If the battery is dirty, you might need to wipe off the grime to check for the signs.
Locate the jumper cables and ensure that the cables are in good condition. It is advisable to keep the jumper cables in your car along with a flashlight, first aid kit, and a jacket.
- Can I start my Lexus with a portable jumper box?
- Yes. You can use the portable jumper box instead of the battery of another car to jump start your Lexus.
- What safety precautions do I need to follow?
- Ensure that the clamps of the cables do not touch each other.
- Additionally, do not complete the circuit by attaching the black clamp to the negative terminal of the dead battery. This may result in a fire.
- What if my car does not turn on even after I jump start it?
- Check all the clamps make sure they are making good contact.
- Allow the dead battery to charge for up to 10 minutes.
- Your car might have some other problem if it is not getting started. Try to do some troubleshooting or contact the repair shop.
- Do I need to replace the battery?
- Even if you are able to start your car with a jump-start, get the battery of your car checked to know if it needs to be replaced.