Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to jump-start any Volvo with a dead battery.
What you will need
- Remove the emergency key from the key fob.For help with this step watch this video.
- Pop out the cover from the door handle on driver's door.
- Use the metal key to manually unlock the driver's door.
- Ensure your Parking Brakes are engaged. Do not insert the key in the ignition yet or press START.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay. Newer Volvos have a black cover on top of the battery that can easily be removed. The cover will have the marking BATTERY on top or have the POSITIVE (+) or battery symbol printed.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Locate the positive starting terminal and connect the positive (red +) jump starter clamp to the positive (+) post. If using jumper cables connect the red clamp to the positive (+) terminal.
Connect the RED clamp of your jump starter or jumper cables to the positive (+) terminal.
On some models such as XC90, the battery is located in the trunk but you have a POSITIVE terminal near the fuse box on the driver's side.
- Connect the red clamp on the other end of the jumper cables to the positive (+) battery post of the car with the good battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative (-) battery post on the car with the good battery.
- Connect the black clamp of your jump starter to an unpained bolt-on the vehicle frame.Do not use the Negative (-) post battery terminal on the battery.
- Start the engine one the car with a good battery and let it idle.
- Press unlock on your key to ensure the car is powered up and the alarm system is disabled.
- Go inside and start the car. If your Volvo won't start, only clicks check the jump starter connections. Wiggle the clamps a little bit to make sure they are making good contact. If you are jump-starting your Volvo with the help of another car, leave the cables connected for 15 min to charge the dead battery and try again.
These instructions will help you jump-start a Volvo battery, in almost any model including S60, V70, XC70, XC90, S40, V50, C30, C70, S80, XC60.